Cycle helmet for motorbike use in Thailand?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bestyman

We are going to Thailand in a few months. We usually find a quiet resort and hire a 125cc motorbike for me and the wife to travel on. Never really go fast, maybe 45 - 50 tops. Usual speed less than 30 mph.

Helmets there are a problem. When available they are the old smelly type ( same shape as a cycle helmet) with twisted straps. Finding a decent one is more of an issue as my head is xtra large. Last time out there it started raining, loads of black "stuff" ran from my helmet and it stunk like a dead rat. I felt sick.

This visit thinking of taking our cycle helmets. I don't think the Police will mind, in fact bet they have never seen a cycle helmet, most there don't wear motorcycle helmets.

So is it safe or is it irresponsible?

Thanks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I suspect the decider is to check your travel health insurance terms. Mine is cheaper because it covers no motorcycle use ;)

OP
OP
B

bestyman

Thanks, I always get insurance for motorbikes, also get international driving permit.

Trouble with buy helmets and save for next visit is that we rarely visit the same place twice. Two full size motorcycle helmets would really eat into our luggage allowance.

I did consider cycling but think it will be too hot. Last visit there found walking difficult.

Brandane

Legendary Member
We are going to Thailand in a few months. We usually find a quiet resort and hire a 125cc motorbike for me and the wife to travel on. Never really go fast, maybe 45 - 50 tops. Usual speed less than 30 mph.

Helmets there are a problem. When available they are the old smelly type ( same shape as a cycle helmet) with twisted straps. Finding a decent one is more of an issue as my head is xtra large. Last time out there it started raining, loads of black "stuff" ran from my helmet and it stunk like a dead rat. I felt sick.

This visit thinking of taking our cycle helmets. I don't think the Police will mind, in fact bet they have never seen a cycle helmet, most there don't wear motorcycle helmets.

Thanks
I wouldn't be relying on a cycle helmet on a motorbike! But then again, I wouldn't rely on one on a pedal cycle either.
Are they a legal requirement in Thailand? If not, then why bother, if as you say you are only going to be doing fast cycling speeds?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Thanks

What protection do you think a bicycle helmet will afford you in a collision at 45-50mph, given that they are designed for impacts way below that speed? I think you know, and don't care, other than to have a semblance of appearing to comply with local laws.

I've been to Thailand many times and everywhere I have been there are motorcycle shops where you could easily buy a couple of suitable helmets.

Two full size motorcycle helmets would really eat into our luggage allowance.

Unbelievable.

GC

clf

Probably as much use as this tbh

LCg3p5Z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bestyman

Are you suggesting that I should buy 2 MC helmets in Thailand for only a few days use?

What`s unbelievable? Am I missing a point here?

OP
OP
B

bestyman

And I don't know what protection a cycle will give at 45mph. That's why I'm on here asking the helpful experts.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
This does sound unbelievable. However, taking the question at face value...
A cycle helmet will give you no protection whatsoever at motorbike speeds.
I'd buy a motorbike helmet out there. Or here. Or use one they provide.
Out of interest, if you can't fit a motorbike helmet in your case, what makes you think a cycle helmet would fit more easily? There's not much difference in size.
There's an adage amongst motorcyclists - If you've got a ten quid head, buy a ten quid helmet...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
This does sound unbelievable. However, taking the question at face value...
A cycle helmet will give you no protection whatsoever at motorbike speeds.
I'd buy a motorbike helmet out there. Or here. Or use one they provide.
Out of interest, if you can't fit a motorbike helmet in your case, what makes you think a cycle helmet would fit more easily? There's not much difference in size.
There's an adage amongst motorcyclists - If you've got a ten quid head, buy a ten quid helmet...

umm.a motorcyle helmet is huge compared.to a cycle.helmet. Two.motorcycle helmets completely fill the 55litre.top box on my Triumph - and even then you have to wiggle em to get the lid down. And these were maybe £300 each, not the cheapest granted

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What protection do you think a bicycle helmet will afford you in a collision at 45-50mph, given that they are designed for impacts way below that speed? I think you know, and don't care, other than to have a semblance of appearing to comply with local laws.

That was how I interpreted it, hence my insurance-based answer.

Some people are quite happy to cycle downhill at 40-50mph wearing a cycle crash helmet designed for 12mph just to have a semblance of appearing to comply with event rules (many of which specify B95 but don't check whether helmets are EN1078 or B95... not that it differs in speed), so how is this different?

Top Bottom