Cycle helmets are useless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I hear what your all saying, but I would be scared not to wear one, and I'm sure sods law would apply as soon as I went out without a helmet.

Ah, but that would be "risk compensation" - one feels safer, so rides more dangerously :-)

Slightly joking, though it is a recognised effect. Interestingly - when I first wore helmets in the olden days, I felt rather safer and rode much more assertively - arguably improving my road positioning and safety - the good side of "risk compensation" perhaps ?

Learnincurve

As an aside, I bought my road bike from my LBS, and bought my helmet from the same shop at the same time. When I enquired about them the owner told me that all helmets were the same and offered the same level of protection, the only difference was how well ventilated they were.

This is absolutely true. All helmets have to adhere to a health and safety standard so my £8 from tescos helmet is exactly as safe as a £50 helmet. What you pay more for is aerodynamics and style.

I wear a helmet because I wear hats and a helmet is a hat with straps on that won't fly off.

My interest here is that I presume most would not be in favour of motorcyclists being allowed to assess personal risk and make a personal decision regarding whether to wear a helmet whereas the opposite seems to apply to pedal cyclists. Whilst I appreciate that the evidence is strongly in favour of the efficacy of motorcycle helmets I am struggling to understand the principle of two diametrically opposed positions on what is ostensibly the same issue

I do agree with you that having a test requiring a cycling helmet to pass a 12mph impact is inadequate. Given that cycling around these parts largely consists of a ball-achingly slow ascent followed by a hurtling descent, I would certainly support speed rating for them.

No opposed positions at all....

Motorcycle helmets work, cycle helmets don't

I bit like a building site.

One group are expected to wear steel toe capped boots in case anything drops on them

The others are expected to wear trainers ... for the same reason

Ostensibly the same issue, but not the same rules

It’s worth noting (especially if you’re as sarcastically sceptical as we are) that an awful lot of the pro-helmet research appears to have been paid for by the companies who manufacture the helmets.

The really cynical would ask why none of the helmet companies are actively promoting compulsion... and the answer is that they know the number of cyclists would drop, thuus affecting their sales

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
^^^^^What he said
This is absolutely true. All helmets have to adhere to a health and safety standard so my £8 from tescos helmet is exactly as safe as a £50 helmet. What you pay more for is aerodynamics and style.

I wear a helmet because I wear hats and a helmet is a hat with straps on that won't fly off.

MarkF

Guru
I remember the same debate in the 70's regarding wearing a helmet on motorbikes, When it became Law in 1973 people argued it should be their choice, and some still say it should be made legal to ride without, so the cycle helmet debate will go on for ever.

Motorcycle helmets work, cycle helmets don't

I was amazed to read the other day that decades old motorbike helmet laws had been repealed in some USA states, I had to check to believe it. Land of the free and all that.......:thumbsup:

He puts forward the anti-helmet argument quite well. It would be nice to see some more facts from his research other than motorists pass 3" closer to helmeted riders without hitting them, as evidence of their increased risk.
http://www.helmets.org/walkerstudy.htm
http://www.helmets.org/walkerstudy.htm

The good thing about non compulsion is that on a sunny day, I'll choose my cycle over my m/bike or scooter.

This is the point made above about how poorly helmet standards are understood

Leaving aside the ultra cheap Lidl/ Tesco helmets... which are tested to the risible and useless EN1078

The safety of the helmet is and never has been a matter of cost. You can get a Snell certified helmet for £30

Big Nick

Any activity involving speeds up to 40mph where I'm not surrounded by a tin box I wear a helmet

Personal choice, I've read a lot of the previous threads on this on here now and know the actual chance of a helmet coming into play in a cycle crash is very small but I'd rather have one on and never need it than land on my head without one (not that it guarantees survival but at least it's some protection)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom