Cycle Hero lives near me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Sad that i am i would like to learn how to climb properly, im pathetic so my OTH says. So i had a perusal through Google and British Cycling for a cycle coach and found out that living very near to me in Kent is a gent called Geoff Wiles b.1944, and a veteran of Paris-Roubaix and other pro events and he is still coaching !

Anyone else got any previous or current pro cyclists living near them ?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I ride a bike signed by Sean Kelly ^_^

Peter Hawkins of IG Sigma Sport is listed as being from Belfast - he holds a KOM on a route I ride all the time. I'm 27 seconds slower apparently

Raging Squirrel

Bradley Wiggins lives about 10 minutes away up the road. We go to a farm shop / cafe every weekend that is literally a minute from his house right by where he got knocked off last year

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Sad that i am i would like to learn how to climb properly, im pathetic so my OTH says. So i had a perusal through Google and British Cycling for a cycle coach and found out that living very near to me in Kent is a gent called Geoff Wiles b.1944, and a veteran of Paris-Roubaix and other pro events and he is still coaching !

Anyone else got any previous or current pro cyclists living near them ?

He also had a very good cycle shop in strood for many years that got taken over by kemt cycles which sadly isnt of the same standard....

If you are in medway area rob kennison would be worth a shout.

Tyke

Taken from yesterdays Wakefield Express. I hope they don`t mind but this guy deserves some respect.
Cycling legend’s star to shine in Wakefield

4148810470.jpg

Barry Hoban climbs up Kidstones Pass part of the first stage of the 2014 Tour de France.
Published on the 25 July
09:01
Email this Print this
Council chiefs at Wakefield are to honour city born retired professional cyclist and Tour de France Stage winner Barry Hoban with a Wakefield Star Award.
The Wakefield Stars Award aims to recognise current or past residents who have a nationally recognised, outstanding achievement.
Mr Hoban, 73, powered his way to eight Tour De France stage wins between 1967 to 1975. He holds the record for the most Tours completed by a British rider – having finished 11 of the 12 he started between 1965 and 1978.
He was also the only Briton to have won two consecutive stages of the Tour until Mark Cavendish matched it in 2008.
Mr Hoban will join the eleven previous Wakefield Stars winners when his plaque is place in the pavement in Wakefield City Centre tomorrow afternoon in recognition of his cycling achievements.
The announcement of Mr Hoban’s award comes as Wakefield Council launches its cycling legacy in celebration of Yorkshire starting the countdown to The Grand Depart 2014.
The council has developed a programme of activities leading up to, during and beyond the 2014 Tour de France Grand Depart as part of a 25 priority spoke plan to get more people cycling.
As part of the plan, in partnership with British Cycling and West Yorkshire Metro, the council has announced Wakefield’s own Sky Ride local programme offering residents the opportunity to participate in free group organised bike rides across the district.
Wakefield Council leader Coun peter Box, said: “The Tour de France arrives in Yorkshire in just under a year and it is only fitting that one of Wakefield’s cycling legends receives one of our Wakefield Star awards.
“I’m proud to be presenting Barry with this star and I’m sure he will be a great ambassador for our legacy plans and inspire people to get on their bike and take up cycling opportunities across the district. We are working hard to ensure that this event leaves a lasting legacy across Wakefield.”

Globalti

Legendary Member
The bloke who built my house won the Raike hillclimb in around 1977 and was runner-up in the national hillclimb championships the same year, he's a wiry little guy and still an extremely fit cyclist, now aged around 59 and semi-retired so cycling almost daily, lucky devil. He now lives in the neighbouring street so he and I are on good terms.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Daryl Webster got me a job as a mini cab driver at the firm his dad worked at...I had no idea at the time that he was anything special in cycling.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Bradley Wiggins lives about 10 minutes away up the road. We go to a farm shop / cafe every weekend that is literally a minute from his house right by where he got knocked off last year

Me too, I ride past the garage where he got knocked off around 3 times a week after going up Parbold hill.

Raging Squirrel

I've probably seen you going in the opposite way haha. My fiancés uncle does a similar route to you, he lives in Ormskirk and has family in Bolton so goes up over the beacon and through to Parbold

Top Bottom