cycle lane - odd behavior

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
On about half a mile round Bradley Stoke, I cycle on the road where there is a perfectly good shared use cycle path on the pavement. It's a fairly quiet pavement.

But the problem with it is, that I want to turn right at the roundabout at the end of the road. To get back onto the road once you are on this path is impossible without dismounting.

The council agreed with my email that their cycle path is only any good for cyclists who are not turning right at the end of the road.

The problem is, I can sense the irritation of some drivers if they have to wait behind me, because of oncoming traffic. "Why isn't that cyclist on the cycle path ?"

Cyclist33

But they still slow me down. Even on a god dam bicycle. Whats with cars going slow as hell without a tidy reason. Its annoying but at least they not only keep the roads clear but are also financing them. I could actually get murdered for saying this.

As for cycle lanes, I used one today for the 1st time ever. There was a part for people and the other part for cyclists. It was barely safe to go above 15mph for all the dogs and young kids being walked along it. I will take my chances with the car drives that want to murder me:hyper: .

Well, the cars aren't financing the roads. We council tax payers are.

Reactions: akb

Typhon

Living in a rural area there's hardly any cycle lanes around here. In fact I can only think of one in close proximity. It lasts for about 100 yards of an A-road then just stops and turns into a thick grass verge. It's covered in branches, thorns and tree roots have made the path uneven. Utterly pointless.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I sometimes travel over Southwark Bridge
southwarkbridge.png

do I use the cycle lanes? No. Not because they are narrow or more or less safe, but because they are ugly and they slice up public space. How is a pedestrian, or somebody in a wheelchair supposed to get from one side of the bridge to the other?
:eek:
A minor wobble on a normal cycle lane might make you swerve a bit. A minor wobble on that could tip you right into the carriageway!

subaqua

What’s the point
there is also a very good reason for having the concrete there. under the cycle lane is a 22Kv cable route from north to south. you don't want any HGVs sitting on top of that for long.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
given that the cycle lanes are sometimes crammed, (cycles outnumber private cars on this particular bridge), using the lane can be a bit of a worry.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there is also a very good reason for having the concrete there. under the cycle lane is a 22Kv cable route from north to south. you don't want any HGVs sitting on top of that for long.
setting aside the question of why (and you may know the answer to that one)...........they could always put a weight limit on the bridge

subaqua

What’s the point
setting aside the question of why (and you may know the answer to that one)...........they could always put a weight limit on the bridge

what weight limit though ? any heavy vehicles ( cars included) are going to damage the cable trench cover eventually, then that means months of disruption while repairs are effected . a simple long term solution was to do what they did, with 3 crossing points for peds wheelchairs etc. and to be brutally honest once you start going over the bridge there really isn't much of a need to cross from one side to another. London bridge gives a better vista of Tower bridge , and looking west there is the wobbly bridge thats not a great tourist pic. and is a better option for crossing the river on foot anyway.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I use some, don't use others. Plus, there are some I'll use in some situations, and not in others. For instance, there's a cycle lane I use daily which I won't use if it takes me up the inside of a large vehicle.

subaqua

What’s the point
2117514 said:
Not having as much a view of Tower Bridge is one good reason to favour Southwark Bridge over London Bridge.

I can agree with you on that from a walking POV . its quicker for me to walk along the thames path and over southwark bridge than battle through the throng on London bridge. i don't change sides tho . ....................................

markharry66

Über Member
Personally I dont use cycle lanes as they are great way to attract glass to my tyres. Plus I worry about Peds crossing the road or cycle lane without looking. You could put a big neon sign flashing Cycle lane and some folks would still miss it. Plus I dont like the way that certain drivers use them as an excuse to drive like absloute twats and use the to explain their shoot driving skills as I shouldnt be on the road because there is a cycle lane next to it

Top Bottom