cycle lane - odd behavior

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Watched a lad riding past yeterday making an effort not to use the cycle lane. Now I know many don't like them and there are many reasons but this was wierd. Was there anything parked in it - no, was the surface poor - no, same as the rest of the road, was it full of rubbish - no, any side turnings - no, any strange or pointless junctions at the beggining or end - no. Did he feel he had to "adopt the primary position" ? Well on a more or less straight bit of [30mph] road with no turn offs I can't really see why.
Was he having problems staying in the lane 'cos he'd just sunk his ninth pint before setting out,
did he feel keeping to the side of the road in the lane tainted his macho image, maybe.
Some strange folk out there.

Tommy2

Über Member
Why would somebody no like a cycle lane? Genuine question as I am only starting to cycle so haven't been on the road but I have seen proper cyclists avoid cycle paths too!
Is it poor quality surface for road bikes?

gavintc

Guru
Why would somebody no like a cycle lane? Genuine question as I am only starting to cycle so haven't been on the road but I have seen proper cyclists avoid cycle paths too!

I tend to use them when I comfortable with them. But, the placing of coloured paint can suggest to drivers that as long their wheels are not in the coloured paint area, they can pass as close as they like. For that reason, it is usually better to sit out a bit more, encouraging drivers to notice you and not to squeeze through. IMO, As a general rule, cycle lanes/paths are to be avoided.

HovR

Über Member

Poor quality surface, narrow cycle lane putting you too close to the curb among road debris/litter and wet drain covers, being in the cycle lane can decrease your visibility to cars pulling out of side roads into or across your lane, "pinch points" or road narrowings may approach and cars will try to squeeze through if you are in a cycle lane too close to the curb, quite often cycle lanes are just really poorly designed and generally inconvenience you compared to taking the road.

Not all cycle lanes are like this, but out of all the cycle lanes in my city I only know two which I would consider good.

Just a few reasons. :smile:

green1

Über Member
The country already has a good coverage of cycle lanes, roads. I'll stick to them, less glass less potholes, less pedestrians wandering down the middle of them.

How wide way the cycle lane ??
How much traffic was around ??
How fast was the cyclist going ??

With a lot of traffic around it can be safer to stay further from the curb the faster you go.
So with a narrow cycle lane you are soon out of it.

craven2354

There's one near me that runs along side parking for about a mile and clearly puts anybody that rides in it in danger of being doored is so badly designed its untrue

Gary E

Veteran
To be honest I'm so fed up of running into random bits of detritus or over-hanging branches (the last one was a thorn bush that made a mess of my helmet) that I tend to just ignore them now. I figure it's safer to stay in the road rather than to keep weaving on and off it to avoid stuff. Even well kept cycle paths can have bits of broken car that's been pushed off the main carriageway by the traffic.

I'll say one thing for cars, they're very useful for keeping the roads clear :smile:

simon.r

Person
As a cyclist I'm well aware that many cycle lanes are positively dangerous and I often don't use them, but as a motorist I do wish that cyclists would use them when appropriate.

While driving to work this morning (about 7.15am, so still virtually dark and a bit misty) I passed a cyclist on a stretch of 60mph road that looks to have a good cycle lane beside it - streetview - the path is a joint use footpath / cycle lane. He was on a MTB, riding slowly, with a dim rear light and no hi-viz.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the situation, the motor traffic was moving at 50 / 60 mph and he wasn't visible from very far away. The road was fairly busy and no doubt many drivers were driving with misted up windows while drinking coffee, listening to the radio and thinking about how busy the M1 would be when they joined it in 5 minutes time. I know he was perfectly within his rights, but l really do believe that he would have been significantly safer on the cycle lane.

Certainly had I been riding along that road at that time I would have been on the cycle lane and if it had caused me a small delay or I'd had to contend with the odd overhanging branch then I'd have put up with it.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I sometimes travel over Southwark Bridge
southwarkbridge.png

do I use the cycle lanes? No. Not because they are narrow or more or less safe, but because they are ugly and they slice up public space. How is a pedestrian, or somebody in a wheelchair supposed to get from one side of the bridge to the other?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Watched a lad riding past yeterday making an effort not to use the cycle lane. Now I know many don't like them and there are many reasons but this was wierd. Was there anything parked in it - no, was the surface poor - no, same as the rest of the road, was it full of rubbish - no, any side turnings - no, any strange or pointless junctions at the beggining or end - no. Did he feel he had to "adopt the primary position" ? Well on a more or less straight bit of [30mph] road with no turn offs I can't really see why.
Was he having problems staying in the lane 'cos he'd just sunk his ninth pint before setting out,
did he feel keeping to the side of the road in the lane tainted his macho image, maybe.

Was'nt in Leeds was it?

There's a 30 mile descent for about a mile where I cycle a secondary in the driver's lane and avoid the bike lane. Too many man hole covers, road debris and leaves in the bike lane.

There's another bike lane I frequently avoid because it's painted with a thick lumpy paint. I'd prefer riding where the left wheel of cars is - smoother surface.

To be honest I'm so fed up of running into random bits of detritus or over-hanging branches (the last one was a thorn bush that made a mess of my helmet) that I tend to just ignore them now. I figure it's safer to stay in the road rather than to keep weaving on and off it to avoid stuff. Even well kept cycle paths can have bits of broken car that's been pushed off the main carriageway by the traffic.

I'll say one thing for cars, they're very useful for keeping the roads clear :smile:

But they still slow me down. Even on a god dam bicycle. Whats with cars going slow as hell without a tidy reason. Its annoying but at least they not only keep the roads clear but are also financing them. I could actually get murdered for saying this.

As for cycle lanes, I used one today for the 1st time ever. There was a part for people and the other part for cyclists. It was barely safe to go above 15mph for all the dogs and young kids being walked along it. I will take my chances with the car drives that want to murder me:hyper: .

subaqua

What’s the point
by u
I sometimes travel over Southwark Bridge
southwarkbridge.png

do I sue the cycle lanes? No. Not because they are narrow or more or less safe, but because they are ugly and they slice up public space. How is a pedestrian, or somebody in a wheelchair supposed to get from one side of the bridge to the other?

by using the conveniently placed openings at approximately one third spacing . I use them at 06.45 am as it means the cockwomble mcoll driver doesn't kill me when he treats it as his own personal dragstrip/racetrack handbrake turn venue. if you l;ook at the picture you can see the woman in the lane heading to the opening

Reactions: akb

Scruffmonster

Über Member

What the hell has it got to do with you? Why do you care?

Top Bottom