Why Aren't You Using the Cycle Lane Incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A lot of motorists feel that the roads are for them, not cyclists, and, as such, they are more entitled. Some of those feel the need to point their incorrect views out.

Sadly, many literally do not know the Highway Code and will happily display their ignorance that is purely based upon their bias and what they think the rules ought to be.

Naturally, they earn their one-fingered salutes in acknowledgement.

The new cycle paths near me are great and I happily use them but not the after-thought rubbish some idiot who doesn't cycle designed.

A lot of motorists think the road is just for them personally and woe betide any other motorist that gets in their way , cyclists just come below road kill from what i have worked out.

Gwylan

Veteran
An " in my day" bit.

Back in the day, if you rode on the pavement you received the ire of pedestrians and shop keepers. Also any patrolling constable would stop you and give you a bad time.

Then there was the spectre of being caught without statutory, functioning lights and appropriate reflectors.

A lot of motorists think the road is just for them personally and woe betide any other motorist that gets in their way , cyclists just come below road kill from what i have worked out.

Yup - no point in expecting someone who would tailgate you for passing traffic while doing 70 as you are slowing him down - to respect your right to be cycling on his road (OK - might be a woman - but ........)

DRM

Guru
I think I've mentioned before about someone shouting 'you should be in the cycle lane' at me as a was pootling on my merry way.

It made me laugh like mad when I saw his ruddy jowls flapping furiously because I responded 'not half as much as you should ya fat bastard'.

I've used that one too, the obese nobber was too flabbagastered to reply!

DRM

Guru
When I lived in Amsterdam I quickly learned that cyclists there are very defensive of their cycle lanes. If you are an unsuspecting pedestrian who strays onto a cycle lane you risk being knocked over. My Dad experienced this just last month. First time there, made the mistake of walking in one and got shoved to the side. If a car was to park on one it could expect damage. Very aggressive, those Amsterdamers.

Much more civilised in Copenhagen where it seems to work for all. Here in the UK though, utterly pathetic.

Yet the ones I came across were too terrified to ride into Honfleur, it's too busy they moaned, I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

This is the cycle lane I was talking about - this is pre-final layer of tarmac, but the 'ramps' are still there. Looks bad enough at the speed of this person, but stick a road bike on it at 15 mph, my word it's uncomfortable.

View: https://twitter.com/peaksandpuddles/status/1536633768471052288

Last year, I was asked by a driver - who slowed down to drive alongside me while there was more than enough room for him to pass me 🤷‍♂️ - why I was riding on Dean Lane and not the new (rollercoaster-style) cycle path. I calmly pointed out that it was not fit for purpose and whoever signed off on it at Stockport Council should be fired.

In other news, I see that the same Council’s latest path on Wilmslow Road in Heald Green is pancake flat.

IMG_3315.jpeg

simongt

Guru
Many years ago, I think pre WW2, plans were afoot to provide cyclists with separate cycle lanes in all sorts of places, mostly large conurbations.
However, the CTC as it was then really kicked off about it as they didn't want cyclists to be 'excluded' as a part of general road traffic.
Obviously, no-one then could have possibly anticipated the exponential increase in motor traffic since then. :sad:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom