Why Aren't You Using the Cycle Lane Incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
They do indeed, although that won't save them in court if someone gets hurt or killed on a fault they've been told about but not repaired.

If they've been informed, they've been informed, and just not having had someone complete the official e form does not negate their positive duty to act to prevent death or injury under ECHR articles 2 and 3.

They should note that the ECHR is higher law than any domestic regulation or law and as such where there is conflift the ECHR overrides the lot.

In addition, ECHR does not specify the time periods etc that Highways departments (ie, usually private contractors) quote to justify maximising profit by minimising expenditure. If it is prudent to act to save life or prevent injury they have an absolute duty to do so, and ECHR has no excuses inbuilt. That's why when it gets as far as a Court in the event of a death or injury councils tend to come off badly, but fare a little better with damaged car wheels and suspension.

One reason, among many, that Mr. Sunak wants the UK out of it.

If he pulls the UK out, though, he'll have far more than potholes to worry about.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
This is the cycle lane I was talking about - this is pre-final layer of tarmac, but the 'ramps' are still there. Looks bad enough at the speed of this person, but stick a road bike on it at 15 mph, my word it's uncomfortable.

View: https://twitter.com/peaksandpuddles/status/1536633768471052288

That's bad - although positively heaven, compared to most around these parts.

Our council (in their infinite wisdom) decided not to cut the trees back at the side of most of ours - that is, until they had been there so long, that their roots have lifted the tarmac.

This gives even my SID RCT forks a good workout each morning. It's no wonder I never see a roadie on there

figbat

Slippery scientist
You can’t win. A while back I was using a cycle lane and some pedestrians came the other way. One of them shouted “there’s a road there you #####!”. I replied “this is a cycle path you #####!”. In fact there is a cycle path, a road AND a separate, parallel footpath. The cycle and pedestrian paths are clearly marked at both ends and neither are dual-use.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can’t win. A while back I was using a cycle lane and some pedestrians came the other way. One of them shouted “there’s a road there you #####!”. I replied “this is a cycle path you #####!”. In fact there is a cycle path, a road AND a separate, parallel footpath. The cycle and pedestrian paths are clearly marked at both ends and neither are dual-use.

We've a new ped/cycling junction near work. It's OK, and it crosses a massive roundabout and under the Mancunian Way - I use it as a pedestrian mainly. The only issue is the ped and cyclist 'lanes' swap sides a few times, so you've got to keep your wits about you

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully

Yeah you'd be suprised how many people tell me "you're not supposed to ride your bike on here"

It's usually a dog walker and usually within visual sight of the many NCR signs :rolleyes:

DogmaStu

When I lived in Amsterdam I quickly learned that cyclists there are very defensive of their cycle lanes. If you are an unsuspecting pedestrian who strays onto a cycle lane you risk being knocked over. My Dad experienced this just last month. First time there, made the mistake of walking in one and got shoved to the side. If a car was to park on one it could expect damage. Very aggressive, those Amsterdamers.

Much more civilised in Copenhagen where it seems to work for all. Here in the UK though, utterly pathetic.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Had that recently. Cycling on a cycle "track" with adjacent pedestrian path, white line separating the two, and, blue signs indicating which is which. Pedestrian shouted abuse at my wife, how was riding ahead of me (single file, being considerate), he cause she (pedestrian) thought my wife should not be on the "path". I stopped, told her (politely) that it was a cycle track. She continued to argue with me, despite my pointing out the blue signs, and, the fact that she was actually standing ON the white line separating the two. I gave up and rode on, leaving shouting to my back. Life is too short. ;)

We've a new ped/cycling junction near work. It's OK, and it crosses a massive roundabout and under the Mancunian Way - I use it as a pedestrian mainly. The only issue is the ped and cyclist 'lanes' swap sides a few times, so you've got to keep your wits about you

That is just TRYING to create an accident!

I do find this thread a bit strange.
I have posted about some dodgy - or even just plain ludicrous - infrastructure.
However, I have come across no actual abuse or insults for using any of the cycle paths round here

I have had a small amount of abuse for actually using the road where there is no cycle path - but one of then from from a car with a very loud exhaust so I just presume he was an idiot ("get out of the way you****" to be precise - I held him up for nearly 30 yards!!!).

Drago

Legendary Member
When I lived in Amsterdam I quickly learned that cyclists there are very defensive of their cycle lanes. If you are an unsuspecting pedestrian who strays onto a cycle lane you risk being knocked over. My Dad experienced this just last month. First time there, made the mistake of walking in one and got shoved to the side. If a car was to park on one it could expect damage. Very aggressive, those Amsterdamers.

Much more civilised in Copenhagen where it seems to work for all. Here in the UK though, utterly pathetic.

It's OK. The Netherlanders only defend their boundaries for 4 days and then let anyone cross them. You'll be fine by next week,

PS, hope your Dad is OK.

Top Bottom