Why Aren't You Using the Cycle Lane Incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not so much potholes just debris.
I suppose i could phone Essex County Council who's job is it to maintain it.

I am not saying it will work for you, but.........

A cycle lane near where I live was in a much neglected state, debris, potholes, cracks in tarmac etc etc. The Local Authority (South Tyneside Council) posted a magazine through our letter box, trumpeting their "Active Travel" initiative, and, giving the name of the Councillor why was responsible (and, no doubt, receiving an allowance for same, although, that was not mentioned).

I Emailed said Councillor, attaching photographs of the state of the Cycle Track.

I received a reply saying the he no longer "held that portfolio", and, giving me the name of another Councillor.

I emailed the second Councillor, again with photographs, much to my amazement, about a week later, workmen arrived, cleared the debris, resurfaced the cycle track, and, painted nice white lines and pictures of bicycles on it.

That was two years ago, no maintenance has been done since, I feel another photographs session and eMail coming on ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If they are OK, I'll use one, if I decide they are crap, I won't. We have a new one locally, and I've heard cyclists do get a barrage of abuse for not using this cycle lane as it cost a lot of money. The thing is, it's like a pump track, up down up down, and very very uncomfortable on a road bike (hurts my spine).

Alex321

Veteran
Not so much potholes just debris.
I suppose i could phone Essex County Council who's job is it to maintain it.

Https://www.fixmystreet.com/ is for more than just potholes.

I've reported a few things, and they have been fixed - mostly Vale of Glamorgan, but one recently (speed limit signs obscured by vegetation) in Rhondda-Cynon-Taff.

Fixmystreet works out which council for you from your map selection.

Drago

Legendary Member
Quite a few-and growing-councils ignore fixmystreet and insist on reports via their official channels.

They do indeed, although that won't save them in court if someone gets hurt or killed on a fault they've been told about but not repaired.

If they've been informed, they've been informed, and just not having had someone complete the official e form does not negate their positive duty to act to prevent death or injury under ECHR articles 2 and 3.

They should note that the ECHR is higher law than any domestic regulation or law and as such where there is conflift the ECHR overrides the lot.

In addition, ECHR does not specify the time periods etc that Highways departments (ie, usually private contractors) quote to justify maximising profit by minimising expenditure. If it is prudent to act to save life or prevent injury they have an absolute duty to do so, and ECHR has no excuses inbuilt. That's why when it gets as far as a Court in the event of a death or injury councils tend to come off badly, but fare a little better with damaged car wheels and suspension.

Last edited:
To be honest if they are there - I try and use them. If the existing facilities poor as they often are aren't use - it gives them massive leverage not to deploy any more or tear up existing ones - which has already happened in some places.

DogmaStu

A lot of motorists feel that the roads are for them, not cyclists, and, as such, they are more entitled. Some of those feel the need to point their incorrect views out.

Sadly, many literally do not know the Highway Code and will happily display their ignorance that is purely based upon their bias and what they think the rules ought to be.

Naturally, they earn their one-fingered salutes in acknowledgement.

The new cycle paths near me are great and I happily use them but not the after-thought rubbish some idiot who doesn't cycle designed.

If they are OK, I'll use one, if I decide they are crap, I won't. We have a new one locally, and I've heard cyclists do get a barrage of abuse for not using this cycle lane as it cost a lot of money. The thing is, it's like a pump track, up down up down, and very very uncomfortable on a road bike (hurts my spine).

Yup - one round here goes through an industrial estate
At every gateway to a warehouse or workshop there is a dropped kerb - but not dropped enough so leaves about an inch drop and then rise
even with my hybrid/mtb type tyres it is uncomfortable - thinner tyres would be impossible
I have also had about half of my punctures along there - mostly due to slivers of metal picked up on the pavement/gateways

I don't use it until it has passed the workshops - then I use it the rest of the way to the end because it is far better than the road!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yup - one round here goes through an industrial estate
At every gateway to a warehouse or workshop there is a dropped kerb - but not dropped enough so leaves about an inch drop and then rise
even with my hybrid/mtb type tyres it is uncomfortable - thinner tyres would be impossible
I have also had about half of my punctures along there - mostly due to slivers of metal picked up on the pavement/gateways

I don't use it until it has passed the workshops - then I use it the rest of the way to the end because it is far better than the road!

It's a dropped curb on every driveway, so every 20m and drops 3"-4" - be fun if I had a jump bike.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Main problems with psyclepaths are numerous:

Debris, especially glass
Walkers, dogs and other cyclists all over the place
Loss of priority at every side road
Requirement to swivel your head 180 deg at most road crossings

They are mostly designed for "wheeled pedestrians" content to make very slow progress. The design speed is theoretically up to about 18mph but 10mph would be more realistic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I can't imagine why people don't use cycle lanes

F79A6A43-1C47-4D7C-80DE-CAEE514F07C8.jpeg

Main problems with psyclepaths are numerous:

Debris, especially glass
Walkers, dogs and other cyclists all over the place
Loss of priority at every side road
Requirement to swivel your head 180 deg at most road crossings

They are mostly designed for "wheeled pedestrians" content to make very slow progress. The design speed is theoretically up to about 18mph but 10mph would be more realistic.

yes - the "loss of priority" is a major problem on some eatste roads where there is a road coming into the main road lots fo times. Cyclist are expected to stop and check at every one

Also - shared paths in urban areas - cars coming out of driveways are supposed to check the shared path for cyclists moving at - potentially - 18 mph (the advised maximum for shared paths I think) but really only check for people moving at walking pace

The made the pavement near my parent's house (befroe they died) a shared path. Problem was that they were right on a corner with no visibility around it until you were right out
If a cyclist came round teh corner at any speed they would go right into the car - there was no real way the driver could check.

just examples of badly designed cycle infrastructure that experience cyclist stop using

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom