Cycle lane pit stops - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Standoff

Along with the ever growing amount of signs (which get bigger all the time) and other street furniture such as railings at pedestrian lights I suspect it's probably just another work creation scheme!

OP
OP
P

Pauluk

MrHappyCylist said:
I think I may know different:
Nah, I reckon the narrow bit is about the same :unsure: , but I must admit the narrowing of the cycle lane in your pic is truly a great example of the planners taking the p*ss out of us cyclists.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There are two of those "pit stop" things on a major, 50mph road near to me. One of them is next to a pub, so if you use it you are directed right next to the front of the pub where customers are a few feet away on the car park drinking. Bear in mind that some of these customers are slob anti cycle idiots, so it's not un common for them to stand right next to the cycle lane and do their best to make you wobble even fall off, and a speed of 27+mph is possible because it's a fairly steep down hill, so if you come off you're in trouble.
I never use the lane in front of the pub because of this, and there's always broken glass which is only swept up every week by the council,(i'm sure that the pub should be responsible for their rubbish and hazards)so a puncture, and or damaged tyre is highly probable. Like a previous poster mentions, some motorists will beep at you for not using it, even thought it's not compulsory, but sod 'em, i give the "pit stop" a wide birth about 30 yards before i reach it, therefore telling the road users behind me my intentions. Anyway, the speed limit directly after the pub is 30mph and i'm doing about 27mph, sometimes slightly over 30mph if it's a westerly wind, so what's their problem?, i'm stopping them from breaking the speed limit so...:thumbsup:

Top Bottom