Cycle lanes (again!).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User169

I just went on to routeplanner.fietsersbond.nl which claims to be De meest complete routeplanner‎
At random I planned a route from Arnhem to Amsterdam which at 98km seems like of thing I'm thinking about.
A quick google earth check suggests to me that in between towns you are still riding on the roads, but the roads have areas at the edges marked off for bikes.
Inside the towns and at roundabouts and junctions is where the real segregation kicks in.
Is that a fair analysis?

Full segregation is more of an urban thing. Older residential neighbourhoods tend not to have segregation, but the newer Vinex places do. On an average 100km ride, I'd expect to be sharing space with cars for less than 30% of the distance. The parts where you need to share space typically have painted bike lanes rather than being completely segregated. Also, they'd likely be roads where traffic is sparse and slow as there'd usually be a better car alternative: it's very unsual to share space with dense or fast moving traffic as in the UK. Bigger, faster roads typically have a fully segregated cycle path and between towns there are often bike paths which follow different more direct routes than the road. There can be problems in having sport and utility riders together, but it's usually only a weekend afternoon thing.

My biggest bugbear here is shoaling.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cycle route diversions should happen but they're very much the exception rather than the rule. We just about get it on busier sections of NCR 1 Sandringham Railway in King's Lynn and I've seen it on NCR 33 Stop Line Way in Taunton. The black/yellow/red diversion signs are really quite rare. We'll keep watching roadworks.org and asking for proper diversions, but seeing as we can't even get all of some cycle routes signposted... :sad:

Top Bottom