Cycle lanes (again!).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, decided to take the bike when I went to visit my Dad on Fathers Day.

I road down some roads Id not been down for 15 years (normally take the kids in the car).

I took the cycle lane detour thinking it was the safest option, what happened was instead of waiting at a set of traffic lights for a left turn I was spat out across a footpath and had to wait for a gap in the traffic (from the said lights) to merge in.

More dangerous than taking the road imho..

What do the roadplanners think when designing cyclepaths, or do just make them look pretty?.

On the way back I took the cycle path again (opposite side of bridge), only to have to cross two lanes of traffic at the worste point of the road. I'd have been much better again taking the road and taking my lane a lot earlier..

Lesson learnt for next timem

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the problem is that there are different levels of need, and who they aim cycle provision for (well I assume they are). That's not to say that the one you experienced wasn't silly but that to the experienced cyclist sometimes it seems daft but it might help a weaker cyclist (that's my hope anyway), and the plain stupid ones try reporting but usually it doesn't change anything.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think the problem is that there are different levels of need, and who they aim cycle provision for (well I assume they are). That's not to say that the one you experienced wasn't silly but that to the experienced cyclist sometimes it seems daft but it might help a weaker cyclist (that's my hope anyway), and the plain stupid ones try reporting but usually it doesn't change anything.
That's called the dual network fallacy, or sometimes the five types fallacy after the five types of cyclists described in UK government guidance.

The Netherlands manage to build cycling infrastructure that works for new riders and fast roadies and so should we!

What are they thinking? Probably "what are the changes we must make to get this past the motorists of the safety audit team with the least cost and expense?" :sad:

Report the duck ups.

mjr

The cycle facilities in The Netherlands are not all that perfect. In my recent experience, 'fast roadies' using the cycle paths in Holland and Belgium are a total PITA and should really be riding on the road.
No, not all perfect but it's the rare bit that isn't suitable for almost everyone, whereas in this country, it's the rare bit that is.

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
I've been riding over 30 years and the cycle lane merging was more dangerous than been on the full road imho.

Pity both the inexperienced cyclist and the motorist from what I saw on Sunday.

No wonder so many give it uo as a bad job.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hello all, decided to take the bike when I went to visit my Dad on Fathers Day.

I road down some roads Id not been down for 15 years (normally take the kids in the car).

I took the cycle lane detour thinking it was the safest option, what happened was instead of waiting at a set of traffic lights for a left turn I was spat out across a footpath and had to wait for a gap in the traffic (from the said lights) to merge in.

More dangerous than taking the road imho..

What do the roadplanners think when designing cyclepaths, or do just make them look pretty?.

On the way back I took the cycle path again (opposite side of bridge), only to have to cross two lanes of traffic at the worste point of the road. I'd have been much better again taking the road and taking my lane a lot earlier..

Lesson learnt for next timem
We have the same in Enfield to Palmers Green a complete cock up.The planners should be made to ride them. But i think this is really traffic calming on behalf of the councils, then the motorist blames the cyclist instead of the council, this is why motorist are driving the way they are.:wacko:

mjr

I thought planners just scribbled up any old crap to fill a quota.
The sad thing is, if you see the early drafts, the designers often start with something sensible. Unfortunately, that rarely seems to be what actually gets built. I've seen the safety audit team demand changes that make things incredibly dangerous, I've seen the budget get cut so the middle of a scheme gets deleted... heck, I've even seen the signals engineers (aka traffic lights people) fark up a scheme by insisting their cabinet goes on the cycleway in a really inconvenient place!

Everything seems to take priority over cycling in most councils at the moment. It's amazing anything useful ever gets built.

Oh, and there's not even any quota at the minute either. Push for cycling to get 10% of transport budgets.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The biggee.the budget the more crap they'll build. Apart from one repurposed ex railway route and maybe the odd cut-through I have not seen any cycle lanes that weren't inconveniant and / or hazardous. Their existance makes cycling on the road more dangerous as a minority of drivers will try and punish you with close passes and even so say good drivers will resent your presence. I'd rather they slashed the cycling budget to zero frankly

DRHysted

Guru
I thought it was a tick box exercise.
Although near me they created a link between Eling & Marchwood which is almost very good. They had to put bollards where it meets the road because the local travelers were racing their pony traps on it even whilst it was being built.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The biggee.the budget the more crap they'll build. Apart from one repurposed ex railway route and maybe the odd cut-through I have not seen any cycle lanes that weren't inconveniant and / or hazardous. Their existance makes cycling on the road more dangerous as a minority of drivers will try and punish you with close passes and even so say good drivers will resent your presence. I'd rather they slashed the cycling budget to zero frankly
I think that's going too far. I use a number of cycling contraflows and blocked off roads to through traffic that make my journey easier, I miss my old commute along the ring road (I know not perfect but better than my current commute). And that cycling budget I assume pays for some of the local cycling forums which gives access to those people making some of the decisions which I think has resulted in changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

GM

Legendary Member
We have the same in Enfield to Palmers Green a complete cock up.The planners should be made to ride them. But i think this is really traffic calming on behalf of the councils, then the motorist blames the cyclist instead of the council, this is why motorist are driving the way they are.:wacko:

Totally agree, and it must have cost millions!

Top Bottom