Cycle Lanes aren't compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this one, I have viewed the footage (excellent by the way) and our driver should have hung back for a couple of seconds and given you more space at the time (he will be shown the footage on his return to work) however an issue has been raised as to the location of the incident as i believe this section of Scotswood Road does have a dedicated "Cycle Path" heading towards the city center as it is one of the busiest road's heading into Newcastle?

It doesn't make our drivers actions justified and considerations must be given for all road users at the time, we are trying to ensure that we can avoid all cyclist related incidents and the more information we can have from yourself and other's who enjoy using there bikes (GNE do actually have a "Bike to Work" scheme which is extremely popular with a lot of staff) the better and hopefully the safer the roads will be for everyone"

This was the answer I received after reporting a stupidly close and very fast pass by a bus (deliberate in my opinion).
I wasn't happy and let him know this, but must admit it started making me feel like I was actually doing something wrong by using the road in the first place!
In cases like this, where companies point out the cycle path, it is worth reminding them that more cyclists get killed or seriously injured in cycle infrastructure (either on or off the road) than when they are just riding on the road. Statistics show it is safer for a cyclist to be on the road than on a dedicated cycle path and that is why we are not obliged to use them. And like they say... It doesn't excuse poor behaviour.

buggi

Bird Saviour
I ignore them completely. I ride as if they are not there. I don't allow them to dictate where I should be. If I happen to be in one bcoz its where I want to ride, so be it, but I choose not to "see them".

Is your trike wide or cycle tracks much narrower than the recommended 3m?

Does my bum look big in this ? :hyper:

Seriously the trike is less than 36" wide and the cycle lane is under a meter wide on the side of the road and I resent running a wheel through bits of broken glass and holes / uneven tarmac that seems to be the norm at the edge of a road .....:cursing:......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Statistics show it is safer for a cyclist to be on the road than on a dedicated cycle path and that is why we are not obliged to use them. And like they say... It doesn't excuse poor behaviour.
Would those statistics be the oft-abused 20-year-old Lund University study that's not online anywhere?

But I agree, it doesn't excuse criminally-bad driving and it's a really damning indictment that many cycle paths aren't even good enough that people prefer to ride on them instead of mixing with drivers like that!

Seriously the trike is less than 36" wide and the cycle lane is under a meter wide on the side of the road and I resent running a wheel through bits of broken glass and holes / uneven tarmac that seems to be the norm at the edge of a road .....:cursing:......
Yuck! I'd report both the inadequate width and the maintenance defects, just in case they cause a less wise rider to crash :sad:

I reckon there should be a campaign to create dedicated car lanes so the rest of us can get on with using our roads safely.

The suggestion alone could just help some drivers to think about and perhaps realise a few of the reasons the current design of most cycle lanes don't work.

A colleague who is a leisure cyclist was saying he thought cycle lanes were a good idea, and wouldn't ride on some main roads, until I challenged him to get to various places using the cycle lanes and he raised how slow he'd have to go and how much clipping and unclipping was involved.

Last edited:

mjr

I reckon there should be a campaign to create dedicated car lanes so the rest of us can get on with using our roads safely.

The suggestion alone could just help some drivers to think about and perhaps realise a few of the reasons the current design of most cycle lanes don't work.
Isn't that part of why CTC of the 1930s campaigned against cycleways and supported motorways? They thought the ordinary streets would become places for cycling, rather than an early demonstration that building more space for motoring leads to more motoring.

If you try to point out the flaw with the idea that cyclists should be limited to cycleways by suggesting that motorists should be limited to motorways, then most will completely fail to empathise, in my experience. If anyone's got a working way to do it, please post it.

markharry66

Über Member
Was on the Thames Costal Path (not my choice of name) hardly worth the effort by the time they put all the gates in I spent more time getting of the bike than actually riding. My own personal experience of cycle paths complete waste of time just for weekend cyclist that like to poodle.

Coming home a few nights back after week of idiots and nobbers. I was rolling down the hill to a set of traffic lights near a super market. There is a cycle lane not that you could ever use it due to people parking or sitting in the que for the lights. Old granny gets on the horn to inform me I should get in the lane, as I was slowing her que up (it was a red light) I tapped on the window and just informed her I have a right to be on the road but whats the point.

Pope

Regular
There's one road where I ride that has a cycle lane, New Hey Road in Huddersfield.

I always use it, there doesn't seem to be any reason not to, in fact it acts as an invisible barrier between me and motorists. There are roundabouts on the road but the cycle lane ends about 50 yards before them. I've yet to see any dirt or glass in one which would make me leave a cycle lane. The only time I do is to go past parked cars in the cycle lane.

mjr

Was on the Thames Costal Path...
Say no more. I've ridden a couple of bits of it and they've been rubbish. It's an example of how to botch a cycle path.

but the cycle lane ends about 50 yards before them.
That's really annoying too. There's usually space to route it around the roundabout properly (I think it's called an annular track) but even when they do that, they usually botch the crossing angles, as in the TRL experiment pictured in http://road.cc/content/news/82246-t...atory-unveil-dutch-style-roundabout-and-other

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I took the cycle path route north up the A38 and under the M5 yesterday evening. It involves crossing 2 motorway sliproads one of which has traffic lights to stop the cars, the other one hasn't and you are taking your life in your hands. Also it is bumpy and rubbish. The council have erected a "temporary cycle path" with boards on scaffolding, covered in brambles and stinging nettles.

To head in the right direction north of the M5, you need to dismount and cross a dual carriageway because the cycle lane comes to an end. There was a car parked up on the cycle lane having overheated in heavy traffic too. I will be staying on the road in future.
Only just seen this, I went to a cycle meeting on that night and that area was discussed, looks like they are getting lights on the slip road, though not why it was taking so long to finish that area with the temporary boards. I've only ever headed north on the other side when you can at least chop and change between the road and path, but not much good for anyone wanting a proper cycle path option totally.

Pope

Regular
Say no more. I've ridden a couple of bits of it and they've been rubbish. It's an example of how to botch a cycle path.

That's really annoying too. There's usually space to route it around the roundabout properly (I think it's called an annular track) but even when they do that, they usually botch the crossing angles, as in the TRL experiment pictured in http://road.cc/content/news/82246-t...atory-unveil-dutch-style-roundabout-and-other

I don't think it's annoying. If there is a cycle lane there but I need to turn right at the roundabout, I can't possibly be in the right hand lane and the cycle lane simultaneously.

mjr

I don't think it's annoying. If there is a cycle lane there but I need to turn right at the roundabout, I can't possibly be in the right hand lane and the cycle lane simultaneously.
We retain the option to use other lanes too, but a good annular track leaves the option open of making a jug-handle turn (sometimes called a Copenhagen turn) if motorists prevent one moving out into the right hand lane or a simple right turn onto the cycle track crossing when the roundabout is gridlocked, both of which I think are preferable to the current Highway Code solution of riding all the way around in the left lane, which is horribly hazardous when crossing other exits.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
We retain the option to use other lanes too, but a good annular track leaves the option open of making a jug-handle turn (sometimes called a Copenhagen turn) if motorists prevent one moving out into the right hand lane or a simple right turn onto the cycle track crossing when the roundabout is gridlocked, both of which I think are preferable to the current Highway Code solution of riding all the way around in the left lane, which is horribly hazardous when crossing other exits.
The Highway Code doesn't say you have to stay in the left hand lane, it says cyclists may stay in it, though I would definitely not recommend it.

Reactions: mjr

GuyBoden

Guru
The Highway Code

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82)

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Link: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

Sorry, I'm just brushing up on the latest Highway code, so thought this might be useful.

Top Bottom