Cycle Lanes aren't compulsory

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
The Highway Code

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82)

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Link: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

Sorry, I'm just brushing up on the latest Highway code, so thought this might be useful.
And quite often it isn't safer so it's OK not to use it, it's up to each person to assess their skills and each layout/traffic conditions to make that decision. That said I've used some of those on my way in this morning.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
The Highway Code

Rules for cyclists (59 to 82)

Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Link: https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

Sorry, I'm just brushing up on the latest Highway code, so thought this might be useful.

Yes, and it clearly says "Use of these facilities is not compulsory"

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I got told to get on the cycle path the other day, but there isn't one there !!

And many of them are congested or require a lot of stopping and waiting. One near Filton makes you wait for the substantial traffic exiting McDonalds, which has a certain irony..

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Only if the shared path is too narrow :smile:

And what about those electric-assisted kick-scooters that suddenly seem all the rage? They're a menace, I tell you! ;)
No if the cyclist is going too fast he is a hazard, whether the path is narrow or not. If a path is shared then there other people around so whether they are on foot or another bike you can travel at a speed in which you are unable to react quick enough.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
No if the cyclist is going too fast he is a hazard,
This.
I did not want to sound inflammatory, but @summerdays said it first :biggrin:
Yes, fast cyclists on shared paths can be a hazard to anything moving.
I have also learned to keep an eye on Next Bikes, our version of the Boris Bikes.
Some are really wobbly! :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern

And many of them are congested or require a lot of stopping and waiting. One near Filton makes you wait for the substantial traffic exiting McDonalds, which has a certain irony..
Irony you say?
IMG_20150928_193210.jpg
Take a look at @craftybikegirl's Tweet: https://twitter.com/craftybikegirl/status/646677378140348416?s=09

Tin Pot

Guru

It's almost as though outraged drivers haven't thought their position through before mouthing off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No if the cyclist is going too fast he is a hazard, whether the path is narrow or not. If a path is shared then there other people around so whether they are on foot or another bike you can travel at a speed in which you are unable to react quick enough.
OK OK, you can travel at such a speed if you're a nit and don't slow down if you need to pass close to someone, but if the path is wide enough, a fast cyclist can pass someone at full gas without being a hazard. For example, if someone's cycling near one edge of the 10m-wide tarmac section of NCR1, their speed shouldn't bother a solitary person walking along the other side, should it?

I realise this is all a bit hair-splitty but I get a bit sick of the "cycle tracks are only for slow pootling" brigade. If we build them properly, including being big enough for the volume of traffic, they need not be, although of course congestion is possible, the same as any road.

Tin Pot

Guru
OK OK, you can travel at such a speed if you're a nit and don't slow down if you need to pass close to someone, but if the path is wide enough, a fast cyclist can pass someone at full gas without being a hazard. For example, if someone's cycling near one edge of the 10m-wide tarmac section of NCR1, their speed shouldn't bother anyone walking along the other side, should it?

I realise this is all a bit hair-splitty but I get a bit sick of the "cycle tracks are only for slow pootling" brigade. If we build them properly, including being big enough for the volume of traffic, they need not be, although of course congestion is possible, the same as any road.

Agreed.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK OK, you can travel at such a speed if you're a nit and don't slow down if you need to pass close to someone, but if the path is wide enough, a fast cyclist can pass someone at full gas without being a hazard. For example, if someone's cycling near one edge of the 10m-wide tarmac section of NCR1, their speed shouldn't bother a solitary person walking along the other side, should it?

Problem is 10m wide isn't exactly common. My experience is that some parts I use are congested in the morning rush hour, and idiots don't adjust their speed to suit the conditions.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Problem is 10m wide isn't exactly common. My experience is that some parts I use are congested in the morning rush hour, and idiots don't adjust their speed to suit the conditions.
My experience is that 10m wide is so uncommon as to be bordering on the hypothetical.

Contractors round here (Waltham Forest "Mini Holland" scheme) are still building cycle tracks less than 1m wide in places. The council are, thankfully, making them go back and do it again, but I think that says all you need to know about the general attitude of road builders towards cycle provision

Top Bottom