Cycle lanes in Copenhagen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
mtgH1gr.png

perplexed

Guru
Simple and effective.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I think its amazing what they've got to work there, but I wonder how more serious cyclists would get on with it being relatively slow and crowded. From what I've seen there's not a lot of scope for racing around the cycle lanes at speed as they're so busy and their existence makes riding on the road frowned upon. It would suit me perfectly though. :smile:

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think its amazing what they've got to work there, but I wonder how more serious cyclists would get on with it being relatively slow and crowded. From what I've seen there's not a lot of scope for racing around the cycle lanes at speed as they're so busy and their existence makes riding on the road frowned upon. It would suit me perfectly though. :smile:
In the town and city centres yes. But that is no different to what we currently experience in central London. At points you can go fast but at other points you have to slow down to the speed of others.

Outside of the towns and there are enough gaps that you can overtake people easily and keep up a good speed.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
In the town and city centres yes. But that is no different to what we currently experience in central London. At points you can go fast but at other points you have to slow down to the speed of others.

Outside of the towns and there are enough gaps that you can overtake people easily and keep up a good speed.
Correct.

In the more congested areas of central Copenhagen cyclists traveling at high speeds are generally considered rude and abusive (by other cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists).

Outside the city centre itself there is plenty of space to put some power down.

GrasB

Veteran
Correct.

In the more congested areas of central Copenhagen cyclists traveling at high speeds are generally considered rude and abusive (by other cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists).

Outside the city centre itself there is plenty of space to put some power down.
See this is one thing that gets me about a most 'cycle friendly' places. Riders who go fast enough to be mopeds are considered anti-social when they act like mopeds & ride in the traffic but they're also anti-social if they ride around in the 'masses' who are basically pedestrians who are on bikes. This is why I tend to prefer to cycle in 'cycle unfriendly' places. People actually understand you're riding a a motor vehicle because you're much closer to a moped than a pedestrian.

snorri

Legendary Member
See this is one thing that gets me about a most 'cycle friendly' places. Riders who go fast enough to be mopeds are considered anti-social when they act like mopeds & ride in the traffic but they're also anti-social if they ride around in the 'masses' who are basically pedestrians who are on bikes. This is why I tend to prefer to cycle in 'cycle unfriendly' places. People actually understand you're riding a a motor vehicle because you're much closer to a moped than a pedestrian.
Features which can make utility cycling popular with the masses are often unpopular with sporting cyclists, it's a problem difficult to resolve.

GrasB

Veteran
Features which can make utility cycling popular with the masses are often unpopular with sporting cyclists, it's a problem difficult to resolve.
A lot of this is because most things provided to increase utilitarian cycling just elevate the symptoms rather than give a real solution. This was brought home to me when a post-doc commented he much preferred cycling in the UK as cyclists were expected on the roads & thus he could go directly to his destination than feeling he had to cycle out of his way to keep on the cycle path. I can't remember where this post-doc had been previously.

Top Bottom