Cycle lanes increase vehicle congestion?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well if you want to be pedantic I do have a folding ebike I could take

but that isn't the point - OK it is, because I could

but the point I was TRYING to make was that better bike parking would be nice

I was just ignoring certain parts of my own bike ownership details

In fact one of the reasons I have the folder is so I can just lob it in the back of the car and go somewhere - then cycle when I get there
would be nice if the destination was the park and ride and I could ride the last bit
Is there a park & ride?
Or why not just cycle to station on your folder, and get train then no driving by yourself is needed (as presumably you aren’t obliged to due to disability), which was one of your points?
Surely taking your bike in the car to cycle somewhere just adds to the car issue (when you could just cycle somewhere). Isn’t one of the benefits of bikes to get cars off the road?

Is there a park & ride?
Or why not just cycle to station on your folder, and get train then no driving by yourself is needed (as presumably you aren’t obliged to due to disability), which was one of your points?
That was what I was trying to say above - I could - and would
but it would be nice to be able to park it there safely

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need to park a folding bike anywhere other than safely at your final destination like a workplace?

vickster

Legendary Member
It is - still heavy even if I take the battery out
I can carry it - but it is heavy and unwieldy
I'm sure I could get a bag with strap I suppose
Time for an e-Brompton ;) (or a folder without a motor if you're not going miles up hills)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The BBC report doesn't say who Inrix are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INRIX
An analysis company that makes most of its money from motorists, one way or another, and almost the epitome of "conflict of interest" here.

I especially liked this part of the report: Inrix operations director Peter Lees said the installation of cycle lanes had a "negative impact on congestion". He said: "Use of roads is all about supply and demand. If the demand goes up but the road space is being shared with other forms of transport, there's less tarmac effectively for the cars to be on, which then has an impact on the speeds on the road and therefore congestion."

So that's completely ignoring all the research about induced demand and traffic evaporation, then, or even just the simple fact that each person who changes to cycle as a result of protected space is using less tarmac and thereby increasing the capacity of that piece of tarmac: as long as you measure capacity in people and not cars.

Also, about "speeds on the road". I'm pretty sure that's been found to be governed by the speed of buses, not the amount of tarmac, as explained in this video about the Downs-Thomson Paradox:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQY6WGOoYis

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, some odd looking stuff has been posted on here previously, but surely it's a minority.
I'm just judging by what I have experienced locally. Hammersmith Broadway is effectively a large roundabout with three or four lanes of heavy traffic swirling round it. There are six exits. The London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham decided to put a cycle path round the inside of the roundabout. In order for a cyclist using the cycle lane to exit the Broadway, they have to ride across three or four lanes of traffic, usually from a standstill at traffic lights. It's a criminally stupid design. You are far safer being out amongst the traffic although you risk some moron giving you a hard time.

Mercifully it was removed after about a year.

Top Bottom