Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
What you have to understand, Wyn, is that punctures are a fact of life for regular cyclists, whether it's random debris, a pinch on a sharp edge or hedge cutting. That's why most of us carry a spare tube and back it up with a repair kit as well when cycling far from home. We don't always have the option of calling for a lift.

Use tyres with reasonable puncture protection, keep them pumped up to a decent pressure and keep your eyes open for potential hazards then you'll rarely have a problem. But also be prepared if trouble does hit - ten minutes to swap out a tube won't spoil a ride - as long as you make sure you identify the cause of the problem and deal with it.

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

Ooooh the irony!
See how funny you find it when it happens to you

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

What you have to understand, Wyn, is that punctures are a fact of life for regular cyclists, whether it's random debris, a pinch on a sharp edge or hedge cutting. That's why most of us carry a spare tube and back it up with a repair kit as well when cycling far from home. We don't always have the option of calling for a lift.

Use tyres with reasonable puncture protection, keep them pumped up to a decent pressure and keep your eyes open for potential hazards then you'll rarely have a problem. But also be prepared if trouble does hit - ten minutes to swap out a tube won't spoil a ride - as long as you make sure you identify the cause of the problem and deal with it.
Thank you are quite correct bought double ended tube now so I don't have to remove the rear wheel bit of a faf on a ebike.

adehooper

You are missing the point everyone has to be responsible for there actions .

I live in the wilds of Devon, were used to it down here. Always carry "2" spare tubes and patches. If I were to get on the phone every time some farmer had left some s*** or another on the roads/paths I wouldn't find the time to get out on the bikes in the first place!
Having said that I done for a tyre today, almost an occupational hazard. C'est la vie, s*** happens!.....I limped back to the car 😀

Attachments

• IMG_20200201_120544389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200201_120544389_HDR.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3
I live in the wilds of Devon, were used to it down here. Always carry "2" spare tubes and patches. If I were to get on the phone every time some farmer had left some s*** or another on the roads/paths I wouldn't find the time to get out on the bikes in the first place!
Having said that I done for a tyre today, almost an occupational hazard. C'est la vie, s*** happens!.....I limped back to the car 😀
OK so a Flint did that, but did you get his forename, can't be Keith (well not the Keith) and someone must pay!

presta

Guru
I got slime in my tyres did 5000 miles on first ebike without a puncture only just done over 2000miles on this on till the puncture on the cycle track great believer in slime in the tyres.
There's no rhyme or reason to punctures, I've gone up to a year without any, but then I've had up to four in one day. It's just the luck of the draw.

Reactions: C R

Mike_P

Guru
With one exception my recent punctures have been within walking distance of home so have wheeled the bike to fix the puncture later. The one exception was on a NCN designated public road and it took a bit longer than expected due to a tyre lever breaking. Two cyclists rode straight pass without any assistance being offered:sad:

presta

Guru
With one exception my recent punctures have been within walking distance of home so have wheeled the bike to fix the puncture later. The one exception was on a NCN designated public road and it took a bit longer than expected due to a tyre lever breaking. Two cyclists rode straight pass without any assistance being offered:sad:
I stopped to help someone once, it was a brand new bike obviously on it's first trip out, and the guy had no clue how to mend a puncture. He didn't know how to pop the bead back over the rim, so he started pumping "to push the tyre back on". :laugh: He was also trying to screw my pump directly onto the valve without the hose.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
it was a brand new bike obviously on it's first trip out, and the guy had no clue how to mend a puncture. He didn't know how to pop the bead back over the rim, so he started pumping "to push the tyre back on". :laugh: He was also trying to screw my pump directly onto the valve without the hose.

An "all the gear no idea" merchant then. Obviously not someone who's been riding bikes since they were a small kid and had to learn to sort problems like punctures out themselves. I never cease to be amazed by the ineptitude and lack of common sense in some so-called grown-ups.
The OP in this thread takes it to another level. Like some others, I don't tend to carry puncture repair kits if I'm only going a couple of miles down the road. I take my chances and accept the walk of shame if the Fairy comes calling. But if I'm going somewhere that will take me over an hour to walk back from, then I take a pump and a patch kit. To not have any means of fixing a puncture on a 50 mile ride is utterly moronic, and frankly the OP deserved to have to walk it to learn their lesson. Expecting one's other half, or a friend, to drive 50 miles to collect some muppet with no common sense from a situation of their own making, which was entirely foreseeable, is highly inconsiderate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom