Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got a puncture on the St Asaph cycle path needed new tube plus slime and my wife coming to get me home a farmer had cut the hedge and left the cuttings covering the path council say that they are not responsible what can I do please.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Nothing.
Hedges are cut all the time and they can be a nightmare for cyclists. On wider roads you have a chance and can try and avoid the cuttings, unfortunately cycle paths are narrow and cuttings are sometimes unavoidable. If I’d have been in your situation I’d have gotten of the bike and pushed the bike past all the debris.

Gunk

Guru
I got a puncture on the St Asaph cycle path needed new tube plus slime and my wife coming to get me home a farmer had cut the hedge and left the cuttings covering the path council say that they are not responsible what can I do please.

I don’t quite understand this, are you seriously suggesting that you need to compensated for the puncture?

Drago

Legendary Member
The council aren't legally responsible for clearing it up. They've no statutory duty to do so. I'm sure if their own contractors were working they'd insist they cleared up after themselves, but that's as far as it goes.

Baldy

Über Member
Buy Kevlar tyres.

D

Deleted member 1258

I always thought farmers were supposed to clean up after hedge cutting but they never do, they just leave the cuttings to be swept away by the cars, If I spot that they've been hedge cutting I'll change my route if I can.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Farmers don't clear up and I've never seen a farmer on a bike.
Charlie Allan a farmer from Aberdeenshire used to race with his local club. He had a weekly column in the Glasgow Herald which was obviously mostly farming topics but he often wrote about cycling as part of his life. Long retired as he was in Glasgow University the same time as myself. One swallow etc.

snorri

Legendary Member
The Council is not responsible for the cuttings being on the road, unless it was a Council employee or contractor who cut the hedge.
Cuttings not removed from the road come under Health and Safety Executive(HSE) legislation according to CyclingUK
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/def...ated/info/vegetation-hedge-trimmings2gbrf.pdf
Presumably HSE would require to successfully prosecute the clippings spreader before any cyclist could successfully claim compensation from the body responsible for not clearing up the clippings.
It's tough luck on any cyclist, but it will be less stressful to fix the puncture rather than try claiming compensation.
Then move to a part of the country which does not have prickly hedges.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom