Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Farmer's here are very good at getting rid of the clippings but there is nothing you can do. As others haves said, make sure you have a puncture repair kit the end.

It was a rather silly question IMHO

D

Deleted member 1258

Farmer's here are very good at getting rid of the clippings but there is nothing you can do. As others haves said, make sure you have a puncture repair kit the end.

I carry a spare tube and a puncture kit, put a fresh tube in, having removed the cause of the flat, and repair the tube when you get home, its what I'm doing today following my flat.

D

Deleted member 1258

Maybe attach to front of bike so it clears it out the way before your tyres reach the cuttings?

Lol ^_^ perhaps spring load it so it stays on the road, and add a rotary brush in front of it to sweep the cutting's into the pan. ^_^

Going slightly off topic, I have often wondered why one can be fined for not picking up dog pooh but horses, (and let's face it when they do one it is a big one) just seem to do it at will anywhere and everywhere.

Poor Will must be well fed up (before anyone else says it!!)

hoopdriver

Guru
Farmers don't clear up and I've never seen a farmer on a bike.
I actually have seen a farmer on a bike, many years ago, in France. I was lost on some minor roads in Alsace and came upon a farmer and his son herding dairy cattle across a road and into a barn for milking. When I asked directions to the village I was trying to reach next I couldn't understand his Alsatian accent. After a couple of tries, he held up his hand, to tell me to wait. Leaving his cows in the hands of his son, he dashed into the barn and came out with an ancient bicycle. Still wearing his gumboots, he signalled to me to follow and led me to the village - about a three-mile ride - he pointed to the sign and with a smile and wave, turned around and pedalled home...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Council is not responsible for the cuttings being on the road, unless it was a Council employee or contractor who cut the hedge.
Cuttings not removed from the road come under Health and Safety Executive(HSE) legislation according to CyclingUK
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/def...ated/info/vegetation-hedge-trimmings2gbrf.pdf
However, the council is responsible for keeping highways clear and a cycle path is a highway, or part of. I'd keep on at the council until they tire and clean it up (or require the farmer to, but they're less likely to do that IME) but you will get no compensation for any damage unless you can show the council knew and had failed to act.

DRM

Guru
I actually have seen a farmer on a bike, many years ago, in France. I was lost on some minor roads in Alsace and came upon a farmer and his son herding dairy cattle across a road and into a barn for milking. When I asked directions to the village I was trying to reach next I couldn't understand his Alsatian accent. After a couple of tries, he held up his hand, to tell me to wait. Leaving his cows in the hands of his son, he dashed into the barn and came out with an ancient bicycle. Still wearing his gumboots, he signalled to me to follow and led me to the village - about a three-mile ride - he pointed to the sign and with a smile and wave, turned around and pedalled home...
yes it’s fun in that region trying to fathom what’s being said with the local dialect, plus the mix of French & German thrown in for good measure :wacko:

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

No it's not a silly question are farmers above the law they get enough of taxpayers money to support them surprised at your response.

boydj

Legendary Member
I can remember a club run where we turned a corner to find a tractor cutting a hawthorn hedge. In spite of stopping almost immediately, several of the guys had punctured multiple times in both wheels. We barely had enough spare tubes between us when a couple found they'd missed some thorns after putting new tubes in.

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

Lol ^_^ perhaps spring load it so it stays on the road, and add a rotary brush in front of it to sweep the cutting's into the pan. ^_^
Don't see the joke eightpound for tube six pound for slime and my wife made a 50 mile trip to pick me up thanks for your wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom