Cycle path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

Nothing.
Hedges are cut all the time and they can be a nightmare for cyclists. On wider roads you have a chance and can try and avoid the cuttings, unfortunately cycle paths are narrow and cuttings are sometimes unavoidable. If I’d have been in your situation I’d have gotten of the bike and pushed the bike past all the debris.
I was in it before I could stop .

Mike_P

Guru
Wouldn't mind hedge trimmings on my local cycle path, would make a change from the broken glass! Only venture on it with slime / Joes no Flats inner tubes.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wouldn't mind hedge trimmings on my local cycle path, would make a change from the broken glass! Only venture on it with slime / Joes no Flats inner tubes.
Or you could report it to the highways authority for clean up and help all other cyclists, including visitors not aware of its glass prone tendency.

Mike_P

Guru
Or you could report it to the highways authority for clean up and help all other cyclists, including visitors not aware of its glass prone tendency.
I've seen it being cleaned after its been reported and the typical half arsed job by North Yorkshire County Council not serving England's biggest county very well with the glass being swept up by a pavement sweeper with the consequence bits of glass remain against or in bumps in the surface.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No it's not a silly question are farmers above the law they get enough of taxpayers money to support them surprised at your response.

Why are you surprised at my response? Carrying a puncture kit is something he should do. I also said that farmers here are very good at clearing the hedge cuttings up.

How much do farmers get? And what does he want? He can always contact his local authorities and complain if that is the road ( No pun intended) that he wants to go down. He didn't need to start a thread on the subject. All he had to do was Google it . Google would be the first port of call I would have thought.

Then again I wouldn't have bothered wondering what I could do. A puncture is a puncture as they say. And he will have many more that will be no one's fault. What will he do then?

And to be honest, they can sweep away and clear the cuttings away as much as they like, they still won't get all of them up. That would be utterly unrealistic IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

Why are you surprised at my response? Carrying a puncture kit is something he should do. I also said that farmers here are very good at clearing the hedge cuttings up.

How much do farmers get? And what does he want? He can always contact his local authorities and complain if that is the road ( No pun intended) that he wants to go down. He didn't need to start a thread on the subject. All he had to do was Google it . Google would be the first port of call I would have thought.

Then again I wouldn't have bothered wondering what I could do. A puncture is a puncture as they say. And he will have many more that will be no one's fault. What will he do then?

And to be honest, they can sweep away and clear the cuttings away as much as they like, they still won't get all of them up. That would be utterly unrealistic IMHO.
Are you a cyclist or a farmer ?

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Are you a cyclist or a farmer ?

Don't see what has has to do with anything.

However I am a cyclist and not a farmer although I am surrounded by farms and farmland. I have made valid points. The OP should contact his local authority for advise and as a cyclist, getting punctures is all part of cycling. Some farmers are awful and some are brilliant, but again a valid point is that they cannot get every piece of hedge cuttings no matter how good they are. It is no one's fault just a fact of life.

Like a few others I am perplexed as to why any cyclist wouldn't carry a means to fix a puncture, be it repair kit, tube or whatever modern tubeless / tubs require. (Showing my ignorance of modern technology in the last bit).

OP
OP
W

Wyn Davies

Nothing.
Hedges are cut all the time and they can be a nightmare for cyclists. On wider roads you have a chance and can try and avoid the cuttings, unfortunately cycle paths are narrow and cuttings are sometimes unavoidable. If I’d have been in your situation I’d have gotten of the bike and pushed the bike past all the debris.
I rode into it was going dark and trying to avoid a walker all avoidable if the farmer had brushed it up probably to busy counting his Farm Payment cheque .

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Like a few others I am perplexed as to why any cyclist wouldn't carry a means to fix a puncture, be it repair kit, tube or whatever modern tubeless / tubs require. (Showing my ignorance of modern technology in the last bit).
I often don't carry any repair means when going to the next village's shop or post office or takeaways. The repair time would be longer than the time needed to push home.

Yes of course it cost me money because of someone's negligence thought I was on a cycling forum not the NFU.

:wacko: good luck with the compensation , i reckon you will need it :wacko:

are you seriously suggesting you should be compensated because you was riding too fast to be able to stop when you spotted a hazard which resulted in a puncture.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Don't see the joke eightpound for tube six pound for slime and my wife made a 50 mile trip to pick me up thanks for your wisdom.

It's not a joke, it is a lot of money and waste of time and resources, but ultimately it is your responsibility to make sure you ride safely and have the proper equipment at your disposal. It is annoying when what we perceive to be others inconsideration and negligence, like dog shite everywhere, broken glass, even deliberate vandalism ruining a ride, but these things happen we have to deal with them and wipe our mouths and walk away and learn from it. It is not the farmers fault you got a puncture, the farmer might contend for example, that your puncture was caused by something else.

What on earth you were doing 25 miles from home without a puncture kit heaven only knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom