Cycle queue etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biking_fox

Guru
On a busy cycle lane you get to a junction, a few cyclists in front already there. Do you wait at the back or edge to the front?

Even if you think you're faster than most, surely it's politer to wait and overtake on the road rather than queue jumping?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
This is so self-evident that you shouldn't need to ask.

You do get ignorant clots who think they're more important than everyone else and try to jump the queue though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I'm pretty slow, so I just wait behind them what's already there. If I'm likely to block the cycle lane into the ASL though by queuing, I'll shuffle into it. Doesn't bother me at all though if I'm in the ASL and others 'queue jump' though. I guess the competitive gene passed me by, and I reckon I'm a lot happier for it.

Sixmile

Veteran
I've never encountered a busy cycle junction on my commute here. Although I've been in an ASL with 2 others twice this week. That was pretty unusual in Belfast!

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
On a busy cycle lane you get to a junction, a few cyclists in front already there. Do you wait at the back or edge to the front?

Even if you think you're faster than most, surely it's politer to wait and overtake on the road rather than queue jumping?
I usually wait behind whoever's in front. If I'm faster, I just overtake once away from the lights.

Siclo

Veteran
Depends on the situation, I don't like filtering up the inside or waiting in a position that could allow a motorist to pull alongside, so I guess some folk think I'm queue jumping, thick skin and sloping shoulders means I can live with it. I think I upset someone in Moss Side yesterday by filtering up the middle to the ASL and he wanted a race along Moss Lane, he was doing OK until we got to 35kph and I jinked right to put him in the wind.

Does @biking_fox have a specific Manchester junction in mind? Assuming that's Manc UK.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm pretty slow, so I just wait behind them what's already there. If I'm likely to block the cycle lane into the ASL though by queuing, I'll shuffle into it. Doesn't bother me at all though if I'm in the ASL and others 'queue jump' though. I guess the competitive gene passed me by, and I reckon I'm a lot happier for it.
^^ this. Generally wait behind those in front, but if there's space in the bike box, I'll line up alongside so that more can fit in, but leave the right edge free for those turning right. We've usually sorted ourselves out into something near speed order before we get across the junction, but if I have to coast a bit before I can pull back in behind someone or I use the carriageway for a short while before getting back into the cycle lane, so be it. As long as you don't jump the lights or get in another rider's way (on the left of a left-turner or right of a right-turner), why should anyone really care, anyway?

Top Bottom