Cycle queue etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You know when the British culture has irretrievably failed when queues need thinking about. In the past our polite queuing was one of our defining habits. Now the 'faster' people think its fine to push to the front.

You know when the British culture has irretrievably failed when queues need thinking about. In the past our polite queuing was one of our defining habits. Now the 'faster' people think its fine to push to the front.
You've never been to Cambridge its the slower folk who think it's fine to push to the front :laugh:

Lonestar

Veteran
The CS 3 has actually taught me how to handle the CS 3 if you know what I mean.Meaning just be patient let the people do what they do...I will get there eventually and I'd rather use the CS 3 than use some of the roads (which I used to use with the tin boxes) in London plus it's more direct and easier than the CS 2.Coming back,that is.I use the CS 2 and backstreets going in.(and breath)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
On the CS3,there are no feeder lanes as such,each set of bike lights/junctions has a kerb segregrating the bike lane from the road,I generally stay left and queue also,the kerb is more comfortable than stretching to the tarmac.
Depends which bit of CS3. I'm fairly sure it had feeders and boxes last time I was out in Poplar.

Tin Pot

Guru
On a busy cycle lane you get to a junction, a few cyclists in front already there. Do you wait at the back or edge to the front?

Even if you think you're faster than most, surely it's politer to wait and overtake on the road rather than queue jumping?

Take whatever space you believe is available and safe as you choose.

There is no queue. Only safe cycling.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Depends which bit of CS3. I'm fairly sure it had feeders and boxes last time I was out in Poplar.

Yes you are right....I think that is actually the only place on it with feeder lanes,east to west is great,west to east of an evening its impossible to get in the feeder lane with traffic/parked cars.Queing doesnt seem to be an issue here as there never seems to be more than 4 or 5 cyclists for a phase of lights.

subaqua

What’s the point
What’s the term for reading the road ahead , getting out of the cycle lane CSH, riding in the lane cars now think is exclusively theirs and passing all those stopped at the lights that favour the lanes car divers think is theirs alone ...

Asking for a friend

Lonestar

Veteran
What’s the term for reading the road ahead , getting out of the cycle lane CSH, riding in the lane cars now think is exclusively theirs and passing all those stopped at the lights that favour the lanes car divers think is theirs alone ...

Asking for a friend

Cant really do that on CS 3 in places as you'd be cycling against the traffic.I have done on the CS 2,though

Yes you are right....I think that is actually the only place on it with feeder lanes,east to west is great,west to east of an evening its impossible to get in the feeder lane with traffic/parked cars.Queing doesnt seem to be an issue here as there never seems to be more than 4 or 5 cyclists for a phase of lights.

As you say Poplar is easy as it thins out at Limehouse with the amounts of cyclists...plus the CS 3 is more shared with the tin boxes so the CS 3 consists of a slap of paint instead of a shared infrastrcture of a narrow up and down lane with peds on the loose everywhere..

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
There is no filter at popular junction heading east west,there is a box allright and a line of blue paint to guide you accross the junction

Top Bottom