Cycle queue etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
There's a part of my commute on the cycle lane that crosses a main road. This junction is controlled by traffic lights. In the cycle lane, there is enough space for two cyclists abreast yet many cyclists wait in single file. WHen I or any other cyclist make the 2nd line, i/we get looks of either
"what the heck is s/he doing? or
"why didn't I think of that?" or
"I was going to do that but I spent too long thinking and now my opportunity has gone"

mgs315

What about power ranger types on bikes with engines riding between cars?

One particular type of that species I’m not fond of are those with pizza boxes on the back that you can hear nattering on the phone as they pull up to the ASL, only to RLJ about 10s before the lights change anyway.

In answer to the OP I tend to stay firmly British and enjoy my time in the queue. More fun to pick them off when moving anyway.

In answer to the OP I tend to stay firmly British and enjoy my time in the queue. More fun to pick them off when moving anyway.[/QUOTE said:
And when you have passed the last one do you give the big victory celebration, holding up four fingers if that is the number you passed?

..or is that just me:shy:

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't like to wait in the feeder lane if there's space in the actual box: if the people at the front aren't using all the space (and if there's room to get past) then I prefer to get past.

Whether at front or back of box I don't care too much. I'm probably faster than most but less likely to jump the lights than many, so it all balances out

On a busy cycle lane you get to a junction, a few cyclists in front already there. Do you wait at the back or edge to the front?

Even if you think you're faster than most, surely it's politer to wait and overtake on the road rather than queue jumping?
If your in Cambridge you wobble to the front, especially the more doddery you are and if there's a vehicle to squeeze by. I've not mastered the technique yet I still tend to hang back :laugh:

Mile195

Veteran
If it's safe to do so, and I definitely won't get in the way of anyone coming the other way I'll almost always go to the front. I tend to get away quicker than most and keep up a relatively quick pace on my commutes. However, if there's someone I think looks like they may get away faster (and crucially, keep that pace up), then I might hang back until they either sprint away from me, or I have to overtake, whichever applies. Also, if i'm tired, ill, or otherwise not on form I may queue instead though if I don't judge myself to capable of keeping up a quick enough pace to stay out of everyone else's way.

I do find it irritating when people go to the front and then dawdle away when the lights turn green, forcing everyone else to move out into traffic to overtake them again, and again, and again. I'd never pull anyone up on it though... I don't think it's often deliberate. Not everyone thinks about these things.

Lonestar

Veteran
Lot of knobs on the CS 3 jump to the front who are generally slower anyway.People are ignorant and selfish so I'm used to it.Even had it happen today but using the CS 3 in the rush hour is not my idea of fun.

I never do it and generally stay nearest the kerb.In other words I don't push to the front because I'm not so bloody important.

Last edited:

Heigue'r

Veteran
Isn't it the self important ones who stay near the kerb and block the feeder lane? :evil:

On the CS3,there are no feeder lanes as such,each set of bike lights/junctions has a kerb segregrating the bike lane from the road,I generally stay left and queue also,the kerb is more comfortable than stretching to the tarmac.

Lonestar

Veteran
On the CS3,there are no feeder lanes as such,each set of bike lights/junctions has a kerb segregrating the bike lane from the road,I generally stay left and queue also,the kerb is more comfortable than stretching to the tarmac.

Also I think you may be more vulnerable to being in the middle from cyclists coming in the other direction as the CS 3 is too narrow for the amount of cyclists using it at times.(and some of the looneis or inexperienced)

Hard to believe I know,because everyone says it but I try to be considerate (that's why I don't jump the queue) but it seems at times some people are taking the p155.

Last edited:
Top Bottom