Cycle Routes in Aberdeen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I'm planning on spending a few weeks up there through work. I'm reliably informed that cycling to work whilst the works on the bypass continue would be treacherous. It's still unconfirmed, but I assume I'll be staying near the airport and I'm looking for a few ideas for places to go after dark. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I spend a fair amount of time driving up and down to Aberdeen airport for Saints transport (Glasgow airport depot). I've noticed a Sustrans route (or it might just be a local route with similar signage) that runs beside the railway line through Dyce, to the east of the airport and Wellheads industrial estate. No idea where it starts or finishes though. There is also a route from Aberdeen to Banchory that looks quite interesting (but may be affected by the current works on the AWPR).
Failing that, you can always ride into the city centre along the bus lane towards the Haudagain roundabout and laugh at the permanently crawling traffic from 4pm to about 7pm. Save your biggest laugh for the mug driving something like this on a Monday or Friday (although they send 2 or 3 per day on that route)....

14563067694_8681dd268f_m.jpg

Jockulele

I live in a construction area of the AWPR and have to say I have found their drivers to be pretty good. Rumour has it they have been warned about being considerate to other road users.
If you are wanting something offroad, Kirkhill Forest isn't too far away

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I live in a construction area of the AWPR and have to say I have found their drivers to be pretty good. Rumour has it they have been warned about being considerate to other road users.
If you are wanting something offroad, Kirkhill Forest isn't too far away

Off road isn't for me, more road and cycle track probably more to stave off the boredom during the long periods of inactivity.

I'd have a look at Aberdeen city council cycle maps on the council website.
:smile: :bicycle:

I tried, not very helpful. My browser doesn't trust the content.

Mrs M

Guru
Cyclegrampian.co.uk
They have some routes for road cyclists.
Or maybe Google "cycling clubs in Aberdeen" (can't do the fancy linking stuff, sorry).
There's quite a few and their web sites may be of interest, maybe even join them for when you're up here.

From by Dyce Station you have Formatine and Buchan Way, it's a cycle track on an old railway line. You are best off going anti clockwise round the airport to get onto it.
If you go into town via Bucksburn, you can go up past the beach to Duthie Park and then along the North Deeside Line. There are a host of back roads that will take you back to the airport via Garlogie way.
Out towards Portlethen can be nice too.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
That sounds perfect. I used to frequent the brown jewel in Muchalls back in the day, can you get round that way avoiding the main drag?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Sounds intriguing, who or what is that? It's been a few years since I've been round that way.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Oh, sorry. If you see a carpet bagger in your turf, don't forget to give me a wave on your way past. :hello:

Do you ever cross the dual and head in land?

Top Bottom