Cycle routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Managed 8 mile today as a first ride - want to try 14 tomorrow (its supposed to be an easy route) - its a cycle route near me called 'The Fallowfield Loop' - but I cant find a specific spot where it starts.... its supposed to be near Fallowfield station I think.

... in fact most of these things seem a bit elusive. Is there a good 'linky' or am I glaringly missing something - or are these things based on more local knowledge?

A linky to all exact sites would be most appreciated if there is one.

ian789

Sustrans website is what you want,

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/map?searchKey=&searchType=search&Search=Find

Interactive map showing cycle routes.

davefb

Guru
Managed 8 mile today as a first ride - want to try 14 tomorrow (its supposed to be an easy route) - its a cycle route near me called 'The Fallowfield Loop' - but I cant find a specific spot where it starts.... its supposed to be near Fallowfield station I think.

... in fact most of these things seem a bit elusive. Is there a good 'linky' or am I glaringly missing something - or are these things based on more local knowledge?

A linky to all exact sites would be most appreciated if there is one.

they 'reviewed' that route in the latest copy of cycle-active...

for manchester area routes, i got some route maps from the gmpte info 'shop' in piccadily gardens.. theres roughly a map for each gm district , they're free and frankly pretty good maps :smile: .

not exactly sure where the 'loop' starts and stops though,,, on the map i think it's marked as NCN 6 and NCN60 ? ?

kewb

ive seen cycle routes discussed and praised , but ! ,

try following instructions given by a dozen riders regarding the route and the best of luck , one mans left turn is anothers right and hills become verges along with shops torn down in the blitz suddenly re appearing ,

apparently straight roads become meandering paths through hostile estates ,

cant trust gps either just when you need it it loses sats ask a local ? i was once told by an elderly gent to nip over the railway line about a hundred yds up the road as a shortcut just as a coal wagon barrelled past on it ( i smiled politely but ignored the advice near renton btw  )   :ohmy:

cycle route signs lmao , no .(torn down twisted in wrong direction or a sticker or a lampost with male genitals drawn were arrow was usually .

gives you  an appreciation of ye olde days of coach travel before technology at times .

:biggrin:

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
ive seen cycle routes discussed and praised , but ! ,

try following instructions given by a dozen riders regarding the route and the best of luck , one mans left turn is anothers right and hills become verges along with shops torn down in the blitz suddenly re appearing ,

apparently straight roads become meandering paths through hostile estates ,

cant trust gps either just when you need it it loses sats ask a local ? i was once told by an elderly gent to nip over the railway line about a hundred yds up the road as a shortcut just as a coal wagon barrelled past on it ( i smiled politely but ignored the advice near renton btw ) :ohmy:

cycle route signs lmao , no .(torn down twisted in wrong direction or a sticker or a lampost with male genitals drawn were arrow was usually .

gives you an appreciation of ye olde days of coach travel before technology at times .

:biggrin:

:wacko: Mmm, tis true - went in search of my local 'Fallowfield loop' last evening. I think the building of houses at where the enterance is supposed to be may have resulted in loss of signage - basically searched around for 20 mins before I heard voices in the distance, so followed a nettle infested mud path and ended up on a cycle track - number 85 - though I thought I was looking for number 60.

Anyway followed this down (mainly on good surfaces) but through lots of 'gate' systems, designed I think to stop kids motorbikes causing trouble - its the first time i've encountered a cycle track and these things really got in the way, slowing you down quite a lot depending on how far apart they're spaced.

I was dissapointed that I wasnt sure which track I was supposed to be on, but 90 mins later when I got home and the Mrs asked me how i'd gone on I grinned a big grin and said 'bloody fantastic'!

Going back doing a bit more 'searching' today :biggrin:

davefb

Guru
those gates are really annoying... theres a route i *could* take in north manchester ( nr the prison at agecroft fwiw), and its littered with them..

I know theres a big reason, after all I often hear the stupid motorbikes going round these paths, but it makes it really annoying using that route :sad:..

( i'll have to dig out the cycle active magazine and see where they called the route, it looked pretty good, must admit I like following 'by river' 'by canal' or 'old train line' routes,, since they tend to be flat and with smooth curves :smile: )

OP
OP
Lien Sdrawde

Lien Sdrawde

Über Member
Did a bit more searching around Tameside last evening - in case people happen upon this thread for cycle routes in this area, its worth noting that sign posts are definately 'missing'. Though if you look carefully you can see the posts on which they were once placed - which helps a bit.

Top Bottom