Cycle shop experience - your thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Exeter based adult cyclist out for a 60km ride today, less than two miles from home ran over some glass and punctured. Had a pump, levers and a tube but foolishly had forgotten an allen key to remove the through axle on his newish bike.

There's a decent sized and quality bike shop not far away so he walks (in cleats) to the shop and asks if they can help him out. It's a shop he has used in the past for parts and has even bought a new bike from there in the past. Explains his problem.

Shop assistant offers to sell him a new multi-tool. Even takes a used multi-tool from his pocket to show him what he could buy. There's also workshop allen keys on the shop counter, but the assistant refuses to help and insists on a sale.

The cyclist, explains he has a multi-tool already, doesn't need another, so, upset, leaves the shop and walks the mile home.

Shop has to make a living, so suck it up, or they should have helped but now lost another customer and their reputation?

Thoughts?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Exeter based adult cyclist out for a 60km ride today, less than two miles from home ran over some glass and punctured. Had a pump, levers and a tube but foolishly had forgotten an allen key to remove the through axle on his newish bike.

There's a decent sized and quality bike shop not far away so he walks (in cleats) to the shop and asks if they can help him out. It's a shop he has used in the past for parts and has even bought a new bike from there in the past. Explains his problem.

Shop assistant offers to sell him a new multi-tool. Even takes a used multi-tool from his pocket to show him what he could buy. There's also workshop allen keys on the shop counter, but the assistant refuses to help and insists on a sale.

The cyclist, explains he has a multi-tool already, doesn't need another, so, upset, leaves the shop and walks the mile home.

Shop has to make a living, so suck it up, or they should have helped but now lost another customer and their reputation?

Thoughts?

The shop's going to be out of business with that attitude towards a previous customer.

Last edited:

Thoughts?
Should have carried his own multi tool.
Should have had those new fangled tubeless tyres which I dislike.
I have seen a through axle with a quick release type lever which is release then rotated to unscrew the TA.
My entry level commuter bike has a front disc brake with a QR axle.
That bike shop is not going to stay in business for long.

Sharky

Guru
Poor customer relationship skills.

I called into an LBS in Gravesend, wanting to buy a wheel magnet. The shopkeeper did not hesitate giving me one gratis. Went back a few times for a few technical jobs, but as I do most jobs DIY, this was not very often.

Sadly, this particular LBS has closed now. Good CR skills alone were not enough to keep the business alive.

But refusal to lend a tool for 10 mins was harsh.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
There were two or three traditional bike shops round here that had prominent signs advising they didn’t lend tools.

They’ve all since closed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
There were two or three traditional bike shops round here that had prominent signs advising they didn’t lend tools.

They’ve all since closed.

I can understand having a policy like that as there’ll always be pith-takers and tight-arses who don’t want to either pay for tools or labour.

But given the circumstances here where someone’s ride has been bolloxed and all they want to do is take off a wheel, it just seems petty and jobsworthy.

Emanresu

Was on a tour in Ireland earlier this year and had a slow puncture on rear tyre. There are not many cycle shops in rural Ireland but happened to stop in a town that had one. Explained to the owner I was running tubeless and could he check it. He stopped what he was doing and took the bike into the workshop to check, add more gloop and inflate the tyre so I could continue the tour.

Thought I should purchase a few extras so reached out for chain lube (no glasses on). Owner asked what I wanted it for and explained I hadn't greased the bike chain in the last week. Hadn't taken any with me. Got an odd look when he explained I was purchasing chamois cream.

Top Bottom