Cycle shop fined for free pump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Meanwhile down my way I was pleasantly surprised to find a public bike repair station in the middle of town. It's got a selection of tethered tools and a robust track pump. I've seen them at stations (Redhill, Three Bridges) before, but not out in the wilds.
I was so pleased I used the pump, as my front tyre was a bit soft (even though I had a pump of my own on board)

Heres a link to the manufacturer.https://www.cycleracks.co/products/public-bike-repair-stand-fix/

dfthe1

The footpath is owned by the council. They get to decide whether shop owners can put their wares on it and, if so, what the criteria are, so that the path can be used for its intended purpose. So the council have a system in place to do this -- which involved applying for a licence.

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/business/licences/public_footway_licence.aspx

I think the bike shop owners might be a bit aggrieved if the council decided they were going to put a dog poo bin, a lamp post and a lovely hanging basket in the middle of their shop...

dfthe1

And here's a photo of the shop from the Metro piece about it (a photo the shop owners apparently commissioned themselves.) The bikes to the left of the shop by the lamp post look pretty obstructive to me.

upload_2017-7-31_20-52-9.png

Last edited:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Also pictured is the bench the Council have told them they need a licence for. Looks like they have a lot of stuff blocking the pavement to me.

Alan O

Über Member
And here's a photo of the shop from the Metro piece about it (a photo the shop owners apparently commissioned themselves.) The bikes to the left of the shop by the lamp post look pretty obstructive to me.

View attachment 365407
Wow, after seeing that - they've really got a nerve claiming it's the free pump the council is complaining about. I do hope this rebounds badly on them.

Wobblers

Euthermic
It sounds like the bike shop is being economical with the truth...

"Isambard’s Cycles has not been fined for having a ‘free foot pump’. We visited the shop on 16 July to tell them that they need to apply for a licence to have items on the footpath outside their shop including bicycles for sale and a bench. This was followed up with a letter.

The area outside the shop is narrow and it is already difficult to get a pram or a wheelchair past the shop, without these items being displayed.
"

As someone who regularly pushes a disabled person round in a wheelchair, I have little but contempt for those who selfishly block footpaths - and no sympathy when they start dishonestly whining about it when they get caught.

Alan

A council actually doing something about obstructions on pavements?! I'm gobsmacked. Next thing is they'll start fining the selfish oiks who block the pavements with their cars.

Wait, I've gone too far there, haven't I?

Next thing is they'll start fining the selfish oiks who block the pavements with their cars.
Well, not on brick lane

Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 22.03.59.jpg

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Wow, after seeing that - they've really got a nerve claiming it's the free pump the council is complaining about. I do hope this rebounds badly on them.
Firstly, they have got a load of publicity so good on them.

Secondly, if you look on Google Streetview you will see the reason why the 60cm wide bicycles are hemming in the pavement is because they are allowing 2m wide cars, each taking up more space than the entire row of bicycles, to park next to them.

Thirdly, the street is a dead end and therefore unlikely to have massive amounts of foot traffic.

Fourthly, on the opposite pavement the council has placed bollards in the middle, all the way down, MUCH more disruptive to wheelchairs.

What do we want on the street, a small number of bicycles outside a bicycle shop or car parking, bollards, and a boarded up shop. The council seem to have made their choice.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
[QUOTE="Alan O, post: 4902025, member: 48933"
As someone who regularly pushes a disabled person round in a wheelchair, I have little but contempt for those who selfishly block footpaths - and no sympathy when they start dishonestly whining about it when they get caught.

Alan[/QUOTE]
So it would make it easier for you if they did apply and receive a license?

Alan O

Über Member
So it would make it easier for you if they did apply and receive a license?
If the licence made it clear what they could display and where, and ensured that passage for wheelchairs would be left clear - then yes, it would obviously be good for disabled people who use wheelchairs and for those who assist them.

Many people here rightfully stand up for the access rights of cyclists, but at the same time it behooves us to stand up for the rights of those less mobile than us - if we adopted a "cyclists first, and to hell with anyone else" attitude, that would make us contemptible hypocrites.

Alan

Top Bottom