Cycle shop fined for free pump.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm surprised there has been no comment regarding the bikes hanging on the wall, these look rather dangerous for the blind or visually impaired.

Last edited:
I'm surprised there has been no comment regarding the bikes hanging on the wall, these look rather dangerous for the blind or visually impaired.
(See link in Post 37)
Well, that was a chore to find...

original-image.jpg

Hmm, and they are still there in the second photo
1099486530547899348-account_id1-1024x768.jpg

Maybe that's what they were fined for.

snorri

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4907425, member: 9609"]Either of those pictures look absolutely fine to me -[/QUOTE]
I can't understand how you could come to that conclusion, there is just far too much going on at that corner, take another look at the pics., and count the hazards for all but the fit and alert. It's the sort of scene that would feature in a Spot the Hazard competition.
1 Sign column obstructing pedestrian area near corner.
2 Pump tube creating trip hazard near sign column.
3 Hanging bikes on wall hooks, risk for pedestrians colliding with bike frames.
4 Redbrick sloped area making an uneven pavement surface.
5 Corner site requiring pedestrians to be alert to wheeled traffic.
6 Metal frame lid on slope is a slip hazard in wet weather.

Last edited:
take another look at the pics in Post 61
Please don't refer to posts just by numbers. I imagine this is why no one has responded.
  1. There's no method to go straight to a post number. Every person who wants to look at it has find the right page and then the right post.
  2. You don't even see the post numbers on a mobile phone unless you turn it to landscape mode
  3. Most importantly, if there are deleted posts in a thread, your number won't be right any longer. I.E this post I am typing will be #49 since a moderator clean up, so I can't even guess which post you mean. Which, btw, is weird, because you posted after the clean up!
If you want to make a comment on a photo in a post upthread, then link to that post. But better still, quote that post so we can see it. But best, include the actual image you are referring to in your post, so everyone is clear on what you are trying to say.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
The footpath is owned by the council. They get to decide whether shop owners can put their wares on it and, if so, what the criteria are, so that the path can be used for its intended purpose. So the council have a system in place to do this -- which involved applying for a licence.

http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl/business/licences/public_footway_licence.aspx

I think the bike shop owners might be a bit aggrieved if the council decided they were going to put a dog poo bin, a lamp post and a lovely hanging basket in the middle of their shop...

The footpath isn't 'owned' by the council. The council are administrators responsible for maintaining public property, including roads and pavements, on behalf of the public. It's an important distinction.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Actually, any highway maintained at public expense is owned by (vested in) the relevant Highway Authority (s. 263 of the Highways Act 1980). In law a footpath is a highway or part of a highway. The courts have dealt with the extent to which s. 263 creates ownership - the case law is clear.

In London responsibility for the highway is shared between TfL, Highways England, the 32 London boroughs, and the City of London. Tower Hamlets Council could be the relevant Highway Authority for Brick Lane and therefore in law the owner of the footpath.
Who owns and runs the roads?
This is a surprisingly difficult question. There is a simple answer and a complicated answer.

The simple answer is that the public own and run them. Roads exist for the use of the public and are maintained by various government bodies at public expense. Roads in Great Britain can be divided into two categories for this purpose: trunk roads and non-trunk roads. Trunk roads (see 2.6 What is a 'trunk road'?) are nationally important routes, which are maintained by the national highway authority of each country (for example, the Highways Agency in England). All other public roads are maintained by local authorities — usually a city or county council. Roads in Northern Ireland are all maintained by the Northern Ireland Roads Service.

The complex answer is that roads — or more properly public highways — cannot easily be said to be owned by anyone. Often the land on which they exist actually belongs to whoever owns the adjacent land, and theoretically, rather like a path across a field, the land is theirs even if the right of way is superimposed on top of it. If the right of way were ever to be removed, or the road were ever torn up, the land would revert to its historical owner. However, a public highway is extremely difficult to get rid of and for all practical purposes the land between its boundary fences is treated as though it is owned by the authority that maintains it.

Land for new roads that were built more recently (from the early 20th century), and did not evolve from ancient pathways and tracks, is bought from the landowner by compulsory purchase before construction begins, and is then owned, outright, by the Crown.

Top Bottom