Cycle shorts - shop in London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr SavageHoutkop & I are nipping down South for the weekend and will have Monday off to spend wandering around Croydon/Central London.

As the shopping is generally vastly better down that part of the world, and we are probably both now in need of some slightly padded shorts (for commuting, only 5 miles each way), could someone recommend a LBS or two with a good range of shorts (and preferably staff who know what's what - for girls as well as boys?).

I appreciate that there is the LBS recommendation thread, but it's sorted by name of shop not area, and I'm willing to travel practically anywhere in zone 1/2 of London or anywhere between Croydon & London (and sorting through the whole list while looking up suburbs is not that appealing).

I've had a rummage for reviews of shorts, and it seems that there are some good ones and some not so good ones, general consensus was you get what you pay for. I think I'm keen to try the Connie Dennis ones as they seem to be a good ladies' brand, but can anyone give me some pointers for the husband? I don't think he wants to go full lycra, but on the other hand the non-lycra shorts all seem to be quite long and he normally likes his shorts above the knee.

If I want to go to a shop stocking Connie Dennis, it seems my options are (I couldn't find any of these on the LBS recommendation thread):
ACTION BIKES EMBANKMENT
ACTION BIKES WIMBLEDON
ACTION BIKES STAINES
ACTION BIKES VICTORIA
APEX CYCLES CLAPHAM
BICYCLE WORKSHOP NOTTING HILL
BIKEWISE UXBRIDGE
(this one looks a bit far away)
CYCLEOPEDIA SURBITON
PSUBLIMINAL BALHAM
TWO WHEELS GOOD CROUCH HILL
TWO WHEELS GOOD STOKE NEWINGTON
CYCLOPAEDIA SURBITON
GEOFFREY BUTLER CYCLES CROYDON
CYCLES UNLIMITED CROYDON

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Hi SavageHoutkop

Hope you guys are having a good trip!

I know Apex cycles- they know there bikes and are quite informed -not bought any clothing from them so no idea about that side- might be worth ringing them to check if they have what you want in stock 020 7622 1334

Looking at your list - if you don't want to spend your entire day travelling - these are worth avoiding Action bikes- staines, bikewise uxbridge, both two wheels good as woul be quite a while to get from Croydon up to that end of town (unless you're on bike!)

Good luck and have a good trip- hope you find good shorts!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Just go on to Wiggle.co.uk and buy a pair of their very excellent and great value DHB shorts. They will arrive in the post the next day and you'll save money, hassle and travelling time.

If you don't fancy doing that, nip up to Manchester because the shopping is generally vastly better and considerable cheaper up in this part of the world.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Geoffrey butler in croydon, DONE.
thats my lbs, and they have some fantastic kit. don't even look at their bikes, nearly all are £2k plus, but the kit is good for summer and winter wear, and the staff are great.

cycles unlimited is actually bike plus, which is owned by geoffrey butler, their stock of clothes is limited so i wouldn't bother with that.

A few words of advice for croydon. stay away from west croydon and thornton heath as much as possible. it can get pretty rough at night and thats where most people are killed in south london.

Tynan

Veteran
for a 5 mile ride anythign respectable will do, dhb are absolutely more than good enough for that, do they do lady rider shorts?

ChrisKH

Guru
Action Bikes on Embankment usually have good stock. And you're not a million miles away from various Evans stores (Waterloo, Holborn) if nothing is found.

Top Bottom