cycle show series 2 on itv4 now

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
They did cover most of those topics last series but I haven't seen last nights episode yet

Those are not topics - they are forums containing thousands of topics with new ones emerging every day. Hence they can never be covered in any past series.

I mean - if they had the guts to tackle the LEJOG A30 tragedy - that in itself would have been topical, serious, informative and drawn light to the contradictions of our transport policy and the strong but diverse opinions within the cycling community. The only thing that would be missing is the "They don't pay Road Tax" brigade. Without whom, for once on public television, one can have an interesting and informed debate on stuff that effects every cyclist every day notwithstanding whether they are commuting, time trialling or audaxing.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I enjoyed it, there going to do more reviews this series. The dogma was just stunning. The downhill guys are just nuts. I'll be watching next week. The end of the day the more interest in the show the bigger and better the show will get. If you like cycling stick with it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think it's 20 minutes too long. If it was condensed a little, with less of the padding it would make it far easier to watch.

I was hoping that the blondie girl from last year was not going to be in this series. She is a hopeless presenter. So was a little disappointed when she made an appearance. But hey, she may have had some presenter training. We shall see next week.

The 2 bikes they reviewed, at 3grand and 9grand was it? OK for the likes of me that like the bling, but not great for every day cyclists. Very few people have that sort of budget. Even me. let's hope they are a little more sensible in their future reviews. ie Bikes at the 1grand range that would appeal to the Cycle To Work peeps.

I really enjoyed the piece about the chap who lost the weight. Nice to see stuff such as that.

And it wasn't Look Mum's this time. Some other bike cafe in London. Crowd still looked gormless though.

Those are not topics - they are forums containing thousands of topics with new ones emerging every day. Hence they can never be covered in any past series.

I mean - if they had the guts to tackle the LEJOG A30 tragedy - that in itself would have been topical, serious, informative and drawn light to the contradictions of our transport policy and the strong but diverse opinions within the cycling community. The only thing that would be missing is the "They don't pay Road Tax" brigade. Without whom, for once on public television, one can have an interesting and informed debate on stuff that effects every cyclist every day notwithstanding whether they are commuting, time trialling or audaxing.

I understand what you are saying but it tries to portray cycling as a safe and fun sport to focus on a tradedgy in the first episode (and so soon after) might not be in the programs best interest and it would also be easy to turn the program in to an anti car rant (and does top gear focus on multi car pile ups?)

StuartG

slower but further
and does top gear focus on multi car pile ups?
You didn't watch last week's taxi race then :smile:
Surely the Cycle Show is not to portray cycling as safe or not? It is supposedly appealing to those who have their own very strong opinion based on their own riding? It isn't selling it to those that don't.

The trick all experienced riders have succeeded in doing is, in fact, transforming an activity that appears very dangerous (ask any non-rider or beginner) into manageable risk by one means or another. Learning from each other is a real boom here. For those who don't do club/group rides here is a wonderful opportunity to pool experience or have a jolly good row about when you should be in primary or not. Remember any show is there to engage the viewer and these columns, nay this thread, shows how easy that can be done.

The first change I would do if I took it over would be to change the rather bland presenter. Replace him with a woman for two reasons:

* Men like crumpet
* Women are put off because cycling can be so bloke-ish

So doubles the audience attraction overnight. And a feisty lady can breakthrough a lot of misconceptions (oops). Why - our very own @wanda2010 could turn this show into a cult classic in weeks ...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wouldn't it be great if ITV4 could show us a little of that bike race thingy over on the other side of the channel!:whistle:

The more the better :smile: Some nice domestic racing articles (like the half hour time trialling documentary/show that was on Eurosport recently) etc. Obviously, this is just what I want to watch, probably doesn't suit most others. I have zero interest in most of the content.

Lee_M

Guru
So I expect in the rest of the series they'll review some cheaper bikes, cover some mountain biking and some intros for beginners and you lot will all then grumble that its focussed on the wrong things again.

you lot are never happy, would you prefer no cycling show?

Lee_M

Guru
The more the better :smile: Some nice domestic racing articles (like the half hour time trialling documentary/show that was on Eurosport recently) etc. Obviously, this is just what I want to watch, probably doesn't suit most others. I have zero interest in most of the content.

itv4 has recently shown the tour series and the london nocturne as well as the tdf so I think theyve covered the domestic scene quite well recently

Andrew_P

In between here and there
That wasn't a review, that was some bloke reading out whatever it said in the brochure.
Whilst puffing and panting up a steep hill, they were not even comparable bikes which was strange not in price nor in use.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
itv4 has recently shown the tour series and the london nocturne as well as the tdf so I think theyve covered the domestic scene quite well recently
Their rest day highlights programme gave up a good deal of its time to looking at cycling's future post-Armstrong with contributions from Brailsford, Millar, Kimmage, Boardman and one other who's fallen through my memory sieve*. It was the most detailed analysis I've ever seen on TV before. I think that was worthy of appreciation as well.

EDIT: for those who are near a TV at the moment, the programme's on right now.
* Ah, of course, Christian Prud'homme

Top Bottom