Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not sure you need to say anything more do you? Maybe;
"Anyway, cracking day for a ride Gromit!"
Then carry on along your way.
Maybe not need, but I was interested to chat and that almost-insulting surprise at having been caught easily didn't leave me many polite routes forward! :smile: Maybe I should have said that I used to live on a 12% road in Somerset, so that 4% hill isn't much trouble.

Secondly people should only buy double panniers as single pannier on one side is a faux pas.Legislation should be brought in
making it illegal!!!!
Nah, using a second pannier when you don't need it is what should be made illegal. Riding along with an unnecessary air brake is a crime against common sense, unless you need the exercise.

The Essex Spurs

Maybe not need, but I was interested to chat and that almost-insulting surprise at having been caught easily didn't leave me many polite routes forward! :smile: Maybe I should have said that I used to live on a 12% road in Somerset, so that 4% hill isn't much trouble.

Nah, using a second pannier when you don't need it is what should be made illegal. Riding along with an unnecessary air brake is a crime against common sense, unless you need the exercise.
Leave it out guv'nor.Single pannier isn't symmetrical.I bet you have a bike rack on your unicycle!!!!

I finally realised why I hate this thread. If I walked past a building site in Melbourne, the workers (invariably male at that era) would shout their appreciation (or otherwise, they did also feel it was important that any woman they didn't fancy was informed of her faults). If you smiled or reacted positively, things quickly escalated. I am sorry to say I don't know what happened if you told them to shut the fark up, as I never had the courage to do that.

So mostly I would walk by, eyes fixed straight ahead, expression unwavering as they shouted at me. They did not like this. "Bitch" they would say. "Snob" they would say.

You don't have the right to demand strangers perform according to the script in your head. And you don't have the right to abuse them (even online) if they don't.

Alan O

Über Member
A couple of weeks ago I smiled at a lycra-clad rider dressed from head to toe like an advertising billboard for cycling stuff, and all I got in return was a stony glare...

OK, I was trying to cross the road on a pedestrian/cycle route pelican crossing across a busy road, he was powering up a hill at a far more impressive pace than I'd just managed, and my timing was bad enough to stop him just at the lights...

Sorry, bloke, if you're reading this :whistle:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This thread has sneakily morphed from "people have been giving me dirty looks" to "people who do or don't say hello" (via drafting etiquette)

Anyone would think we are obsessed with blathering on about whether or not people say hello. ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This thread has sneakily morphed from "people have been giving me dirty looks" to "people who do or don't say hello" (via drafting etiquette)

Anyone would think we are obsessed with blathering on about whether or not people say hello. ;)

Thanks DT & Bollo
I havent been following the thread, but you have both confirmed to me that this thread does indeed need a

logo.png

Can't beat a Boardman. Makes me laugh when cyclo-snobs make veiled comments about Halfords and i mention that the local gold medalist / world champion heroes seem quite happy to ride them...

View attachment 346320

I was a bit surprised, whilst watching the BBC2 coverage of the Leeds ITU races, that the Brownlees have changed sponsors!
I thought it was a new (or one-off) paintjob for the pair, but no:ohmy:...........

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-gear/bike-gear/brownlee-brothers-ride-scott-bikes

I'm new to this game and had no idea I was meant to wave. I've just been rolling along, slack-jawed and blank-eyed like a stuffed cow mounted on wheels. Only time I wave at others is when I'm on a little train at a wildlife park.

I can change though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
On the penultimate descent of today's ride, a chap clad in bright yellow-and-black lycra on a posh road bike pedalled past me and another rider coasting down (also both on road bikes, unusually for me). I admit that as he did so, I thought "he's probably going to regret that," because I know the final climb is over a mile long, although it's only around 4%. Sure enough, once the road tilted up, I drew alongside to say hello. "You caught up with me!" he exclaimed breathily, red-faced and sweating. "Er, yes" said I, not out of breath.

What's the etiquette here? What should I have said in reply to that? I did ponder "well, I'm not carrying much" but I could see that he wasn't either - his bike didn't even have a rear rack and his saddlebag was tiny. I also contemplated "this hill's local to me" but I later found out that he's from 4 miles away, so that probably wouldn't have gone down well either. I went with the rather lame "you've probably ridden much further than us" because I figured that "well if you pedal hard on that descent, you're going to be in the red on this climb" wouldn't be welcome advice from a Fred on an old steel road bike...

Just extend your reply to er yes, why on earth shouldn't I catch you up? And let the conversation go from there.

Top Bottom