Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Said it before and was knocked down a bit, but i have the impression that up north (or at least the bit of it I know well) the ratio of amiable/broad minded/we are all cyclists together is higher than down south.

I hope you don't mind I have edited your post.

Isn't that the point of this thread, why would you be so snobish to deny someone a wheel, your a cyclist I'm a cyclist we are in general a friendly lot, lets keep it that way.
I am still mystified why, if everyone is so friendly, you can't just say the words "do you mind if sit on your wheel for a while?"

And by the way, saying no does not mean they are snobby. I just don't like riding in a pack. I don't like staring at someone's arse when I could be looking at the road ahead, or the scenery around me. And I don't like someone on my arse, because my nose runs constantly when I am cycling, and fumbling for tissues or snot rockets are conducive to a safe pack. And in the middle of a pack? That is hell to me.

Riding with others I can enjoy, just not in a peloton.

And proof that I am not a snob, these were my handlebars yesterday.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Isn't that the point of this thread, why would you be so snobish to deny someone a wheel, your a cyclist I'm a cyclist we are in general a friendly lot, lets keep it that way.

Nothing to do with Snobbish behaviour. Like Jefmc I don't want someone up my arse and I don't want to be looking at someone else's. Not everyone likes riding in peloton formation and that should be respected.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nothing to do with Snobbish behaviour. Like Jefmc I don't want someone up my arse and I don't want to be looking at someone else's. Not everyone likes riding in peloton formation and that should be respected.
Drafting doesn't need to be "someone up my arse" or "in peloton formation". Skip forwards to 3min for the surprising result that there's still benefit within 10m or so:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8kM3aA_EE

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Someone who jumps on your wheel because they are tired is not going to be sitting back 10m off your wheel.
I aim for 8m unless they've got disc brakes ;) If they've got typical dual-pivot calipers, I'm going to outbrake them by more than enough, even in an emergency stop. :thumbsup:

Venod

Eh up

Then I would respect your wishes and not sit on your wheel and obviously you would not sit on mine, but in all my years of cycling (considerable) I have yet to be told not ride on a wheel and have never stopped someone taking mine.

Yes your right, but my days of improving are long gone, sometimes a little help is appreciated and most cyclists will help someone struggling.
Just backing up what @mjr said, you really should see @Afnug stats.
To the subject of snobbery it happens in in areas photography is quite bad, I have one bike and it does all i need it to do.

I hope you don't mind I have edited your post.
Thanks for politely asking. Why did you edit out the 'racers"? It was central to what I meant - that very often even the perfectly turned out folk on lightweight mean machines give you the nod. I well remember getting it once when out and about on my ramshakle overloaded hybrid, not even the "proper" tourer.

Then I would respect your wishes and not sit on your wheel and obviously you would not sit on mine, but in all my years of cycling (considerable) I have yet to be told not ride on a wheel and have never stopped someone taking mine.
Yes that attitude mystified me. Wondered for a moment whether i'd slept through a bit of O level physics where they told us that you somehow suck the person in front backwards.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Thanks for politely asking. Why did you edit out the 'racers"? It was central to what I meant - that very often even the perfectly turned out folk on lightweight mean machines give you the nod. I well remember getting it once when out and about on my ramshakle overloaded hybrid, not even the "proper" tourer.

Sorry, I edited it to what I thought sounded better which I shouldn't have done given your explanation, please accept this apology.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
There almost certainly is cycling snobbery where some look down on others who they consider to be on inferior machines or not "with it" because they don't dress in slogan / brand emblazoned lycra, but I would guess the lack of a wave or greeting from other cyclists has just as much to do with different personality types, and even the mood of people.

I tend to acknowledge other cyclists whether roadies, MTBers, or people on shopping bikes, some respond, others don't. I have been bimbling along on my hybrid in my Ronhill trackies and baggy top several times when a club ride or similar group of fast roadies has passed and have been on the receiving end of a chorus of "hellos" and "good mornings", I was struggling up a hill a few months ago when a very pleasant lycra clad roadie on a dream machine pulled alongside me, slowed down and chatted with me for a couple of minutes.

On the other hand some cyclists don't acknowledge and just ignore me, so what! They might be a shy introvert type, have problems on their mind, be lacking in social skills, just plain ignorant or cycling snobs. Like every walk of life, it takes all sorts.

Top Bottom