Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Most of them are very keen to learn

Yes I have ridden with a lot of these people and I encourage them, if you read my post you will notice i said " a lot but not all"

Drafting off people you don't know isn't a great thing to do.

I agree to a point but I did say hi as I jumped on their wheels, perhaps they didn't hear me.

I was struggling into the wind towards the end of a long ride last week, two young lads passed who I didn't know, they said hi, I jumped on behind they had no problem pointing out potholes etc as any friendly rider would.

Don't be so quick to drop a stranger off your wheel you might be happy of a draft someday.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't be so quick to drop a stranger off your wheel you might be happy of a draft someday.
There aren't many people slow enough ;)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There is snobbery everywhere. In the end it's the rider and not the kit. Roadies don't like MTB'ers, MTB'ers don't like roadies. People knock Boardman, Carrera, Calibre etc etc. Folk who get snobby are probably the ones that 'offer' unsolicited advice in 'the other thread'.

I have some very nice bikes, but my best buy was the Boardman Pro FS MTB. If I'd bought a Specialized or similar, the exact same specification would have set me back £2.5k and not £1k. For that money I'm not going to be too precious about it. Just the suspension and brakes are worth more than the whole bike !

My kids both have Carreras, and they have been great bikes - my lads MTB is very capable for the money.

My brother in law is made up with his Boardman MX comp hybrid - it's a nice bike for the money - no crap components.

It's not MTBers I dislike Fossy....it's fast MTBers like you that I struggle to catch that get my goat :tongue::tongue:

Milzy

Guru
I have ridden with the best and the worst, the guys who have been riding years are the friendliest, I find a lot but all of the new riders with all the gear but no idea think they are the bee's knee's until you breeze past them when the going gets tough, they haven't started out like a lot of us on old bikes and developed through the years but bought straight into the lightest is best and its all about speed mentality.

I was out on my old scruffy Giant MTB no helmet, no glasses hair blowing in the wind (I still have a bit) a couple turned into the road in front of me all bling and sunglasses (it wasn't sunny) they never returned my greeting,
(It was the road from Allerton Bywater to Fairburn in West Yorkshire if anybody knows it)
I jumped on their wheel they never said a word, I kept up with them at 20 mph when we got to the hill up into Fairburn I took great satisfaction in passing them going up, it was childish on my part but it made me feel better
Yes!!! I know it well!!

IMG_2967.JPG

The rare exception to the general rule that all cheap bikes, are actually not heaps of merde.
This is my Boardman MX comp Hybrid. It's on the work stand, it's rarely been off of the work stand. I never give up on a bike, I give up on this bike.:gun::cursing:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes I have ridden with a lot of these people and I encourage them, if you read my post you will notice i said " a lot but not all"

I agree to a point but I did say hi as I jumped on their wheels, perhaps they didn't hear me.

I was struggling into the wind towards the end of a long ride last week, two young lads passed who I didn't know, they said hi, I jumped on behind they had no problem pointing out potholes etc as any friendly rider would.

You'll get better if you continue to push into the wind by yourself. Just think of the wind as an asset to improve your fitness rather than using strangers wheels.

screenman

Legendary Member
Some days I am a roadie, others an mtber, sometimes I might even go down the lane in civvies. I have never encountered this snobbery thing on any bike.

Venod

Eh up
You'll get better if you continue to push into the wind by yourself. Just think of the wind as an asset to improve your fitness rather than using strangers wheels.

Yes your right, but my days of improving are long gone, sometimes a little help is appreciated and most cyclists will help someone struggling.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
View attachment 348318

The rare exception to the general rule that all cheap bikes, are actually not heaps of merde.
This is my Boardman MX comp Hybrid. It's on the work stand, it's rarely been off of the work stand. I never give up on a bike, I give up on this bike.:gun::cursing:

How have you broken it...?

PS My Fixed gear road bike commuter was always on the stand getting maintained as they do. Even a low maintenance bike.

Top Bottom