Cycle Snobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Website with lies about stock levels, click+collect system that sends you "ready" emails before the store's got it ready, somewhat bizarre approach to what lines are stocked in what branches (let's sell bikes with 26×1⅜" wheels, then not stock inner tubes or tyres in that size!), cycle parking installed so close to the wall you can't lock both wheels and frame ... in other words, I agree completely and the half-odds hate is not about the car spares. :smile:
the click and collect system is very useful but I agree totally that it is seriously wonky. Haven't used it for a few months so don't know where it is at - they used to send you "ready to collect" texts the second you ordered it on the web which was clearly not true. I suppose I'm lucky in having one so close it is only a minor irritation.

Milzy

Guru
Back in the early 80s i used to cycle many miles a week when i was a young whipper snapper. Because i was young and recovered quickly i never gave it a second thought as to how many miles or how fit I actually was. After my parents split up i became a bit of a loner and would simply disappear for hours on end covering countless miles on my bike. One summer day whilst walking my mad vicious corgi dog, this bloke came jogging by and my dog gave chase after him. After i gave him a big oppollogy for my dog nearly ripping his calf muscles out we became great friends and i would cycle with him whilst he trained for his up coming triathlon. I was only 13/14 at the time and in my eyes he came my sarogate dad.
One day he was running up this 1000 metre incline and as i paced him on my bike , When we got to the top he commented on that i didn't stop talking all the way up. I thought for a moment he was a tad peed off with me for it ,but what he was getting at was the fact i could manage to talk normally and not be out of breath whilst climbing this grueling hill.
Come with me to the next 10 time trail at the cycling club. I think you'll do really well he said.
It took a bit of persuading on his behalf because i had no self confidence and the fact my bike was a bog standard steel framed Peugeot..I had no proper cycling clothing either to make matters worse.
Anyway the following Thursday i turned up at the local cycling clubs 10 TT with this heavy bike and dressed in my PE kit from school.
The cycling snobs were having a right old field day with my presence.They all had the good bikes laced with campag gear and dressed to look the part and all smelling of relgex ,and there was me on a Halfords racer with chrome bars and simplex gears wearing a baggy pair on shorts two sizes to big for me. There were all looking down there noses at me but my new best friend just kept on giving me encouragement and told me to take no notice. We all set off in one minute intervals and i was about the tenth to go of around 20 .
I was half expecting the guys who set off behind me to eventually catch me up as the miles clicked by, but to my surprise no one did. In fact i caught up with a couple of riders and passed them.
When i crossed the line and our times were read out ,to everyone's surprisement i came 5th..The faces on some of these cycle snobs was like thunder and my mate was trying to contain his joy. You could see them and hear quiet mutterings amongst themselves about me. One guy even insinuated I cheated by turning back sooner on the course but a marshal quickly told him i was logged at all the key points. I will never forget that evening. After the race we stopped off at a local pub and he bought me my first ever pint of lager to celebrate ( it was the 80s lol).
If there was ever a classic case of cycling snobbery ,this was my story of it :-)
Johnny .
Love this story.

screenman

Legendary Member
I cycled past a couple of people today, they were not in Lycra and were on shopper style bikes, I was in Lycra and on a grands worth of machine, they ignored my greating.

Which one was being a snob?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I cycled past a couple of people today, they were not in Lycra and were on shopper style bikes, I was in Lycra and on a grands worth of machine, they ignored my greating.

Which one was being a snob?
They were avoiding looking at your greatness because the Lycra's worn a bit see-through.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Don't know about that to be honest. Don't need their servicing or advice myself. They sell some decent stuff though.
Not servicing (never used it, and don't know anyone who has) service. Saying they'd order stuff in, and not doing (and then said stuff being out of stock at the remote store). Overhearing the things they say when selling/recommending bikes to punters that are plain wrong, at times. A pal of mine's pricey Boardman Hybrid being set up without the top cap above the stem, so that his headset was knackered within a year.

Their bikes are good value, but I think, for a large retailer, the customer needs to know a lot to be aware of when they're being bullshitted in the store, frankly. And I'd not ride a bike from them without giving it a very thorough check over first, personally.

With that said, there are stores in their empire that have excellent staff by all accounts. And that's the problem - that level of service is too patchy for such a big retailer, into which the inexperienced will flock. Even for someone who does, and has always done, their own maintenance, built bikes from the frame up &c, I'm not sure I'd have thought to check that the top cap was on the headset of a newly built bike.

Venod

Eh up
I have ridden with the best and the worst, the guys who have been riding years are the friendliest, I find a lot but all of the new riders with all the gear but no idea think they are the bee's knee's until you breeze past them when the going gets tough, they haven't started out like a lot of us on old bikes and developed through the years but bought straight into the lightest is best and its all about speed mentality.

I was out on my old scruffy Giant MTB no helmet, no glasses hair blowing in the wind (I still have a bit) a couple turned into the road in front of me all bling and sunglasses (it wasn't sunny) they never returned my greeting,
(It was the road from Allerton Bywater to Fairburn in West Yorkshire if anybody knows it)
I jumped on their wheel they never said a word, I kept up with them at 20 mph when we got to the hill up into Fairburn I took great satisfaction in passing them going up, it was childish on my part but it made me feel better

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a shed full of bling bikes. But I have a collegue at work who made a rat bike with 5 gears last year. He got the frame from a skip and begged and found everything else for it. I dont think he has paid a penny for it. I chipped in with an old bell and a bike pump.

He then rode it from Denmark to Innsbruck and back. A total trip of bout 1500 miles.

If you become a cycling snob. Someone will knock you off your perch.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have ridden with the best and the worst, the guys who have been riding years are the friendliest, I find a lot but all of the new riders with all the gear but no idea think they are the bee's knee's until you breeze past them when the going gets tough, they haven't started out like a lot of us on old bikes and developed through the years but bought straight into the lightest is best and its all about speed mentality.

I was out on my old scruffy Giant MTB no helmet, no glasses hair blowing in the wind (I still have a bit) a couple turned into the road in front of me all bling and sunglasses (it wasn't sunny) they never returned my greeting,
(It was the road from Allerton Bywater to Fairburn in West Yorkshire if anybody knows it)
I jumped on their wheel they never said a word, I kept up with them at 20 mph when we got to the hill up into Fairburn I took great satisfaction in passing them going up, it was childish on my part but it made me feel better

Can I put in a word for people with "all the gear and no idea". Most of them are very keen to learn. They decide to get into cycling, so they get a magazine and look at a few websites (where else are you going to get info?). Buy the bike, and some gear, and go off with an open mind to learn more about it. I rode with a club for a while (in the slow trundlers section) and I met quite a few like that, who generally proceeded off to the faster groups, enjoying their cycling. Nothing at all wrong with that, in fact IMO it's to be applauded - more bums on bikes.

Drafting off people you don't know isn't a great thing to do. I certainly don't like to have a stranger on my wheel, but I'm so slow that it rarely happens. But you can be sure that if you tried it with me I wouldn't be engaging you in friendly conversation. I'd be more likely to pull over to get rid of you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is snobbery everywhere. In the end it's the rider and not the kit. Roadies don't like MTB'ers, MTB'ers don't like roadies. People knock Boardman, Carrera, Calibre etc etc. Folk who get snobby are probably the ones that 'offer' unsolicited advice in 'the other thread'.

I have some very nice bikes, but my best buy was the Boardman Pro FS MTB. If I'd bought a Specialized or similar, the exact same specification would have set me back £2.5k and not £1k. For that money I'm not going to be too precious about it. Just the suspension and brakes are worth more than the whole bike !

My kids both have Carreras, and they have been great bikes - my lads MTB is very capable for the money.

My brother in law is made up with his Boardman MX comp hybrid - it's a nice bike for the money - no crap components.

Top Bottom