Cycle to work day 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
lights for 7:45 at this time of year?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah. I think the armchair lawyers have eaten that. I think I know what they mean but they've worded it very badly.

I also boggle at "if the ride leader decides your bike is unsafe you will not be able to join the ride" - it's on open roads/tracks, the rider will still need to get to work and so they're just going to follow the group whether LCC like it or not.

On the other hand, I feel Cycle To Work Day has rather lost its way since it changed hands and so I suspect it probably isn't being championed by LCC's greatest. September is a bit of a daft time for it, just as it's getting darker and colder again, and the marketing is getting worse each year. My local LCC sibling still supports it a bit because there's no compelling-enough reason not to, but https://www.cycletoworkday.org/what-is-cycle-to-work-day says it "enjoys unilateral support from cycling advocacy groups" and unilateral definitely sums up how much notice I feel they've taken of local cycling groups for a few years now while still expecting our help. :sad:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I would sign up but all the destinations would leave me with another 150 miles to go.

Oh and I havent done bikeability.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Re the qualifier. It says "should" not "must". Or you should be experienced on the road. Its an either, or. But worded badly.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
Re the qualifier. It says "should" not "must". Or you should be experienced on the road. Its an either, or. But worded badly.

badly enough for it to discourage a lot of people who will skim read . thereby defeating the objective of trying to get more people out cycling.

I wonder if they will insist on helmets .......

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
in_content.jpg

What do you think?

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
in_content.jpg

What do you think?

knowing some of the LCC loons , anything is possible.

on one ride ( yes i did one ride with them , and that was enough) the ride leader told me , whilst i was fixing another riders puncture by replacing the tube , that the tube I was using wouldn't work in that wheel as the size was all wrong and that i didn't have enough tyre levers ( 1 is generally enough for most tyres ) . funny how it lasted the whole ride and i changed the tube in less than 5 mins- which would have been less than 3 if he hadn't spouted off at me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
badly enough for it to discourage a lot of people who will skim read . thereby defeating the objective of trying to get more people out cycling.

I agree with you. I have sent them a message to say that we are discussing it on here but unfortunately non of us can go because we havnt passed the test. I would be surprised if you dont have to wear a helmet. I dont know an organised event where you dont have to.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
Ride leaders are human, what a shock!
human i can deal with overbearing know feck all zealot is a bit harder for me to resist the urge to tell them exactly what i think of them.

the same one that thought it a hoot to ride on the "Thames path" from Trig Lane to Blackfriars Millenium pier clearly ignoring the sign showing No Cycling . the correct one from TSRGD and the traffic signs manual issued by HM Govt . the pedestrians looked on in wonder . I walked.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would be surprised if you dont have to wear a helmet. I dont know an organised event where you dont have to.
RideLondon FreeCycle, CamCycle's Reach Ride, York Rally rides, CTC Birthday Rides to name some of the biggest. There are plenty of others but you probably won't know them. LCC didn't require helmets on its past rides I've done, the event photo shows only a few helmets and I'd be surprised if it did require them.

I also had an email after my earlier post in this thread, so I replied to say that I felt the web page was rather poor, especially the Bikeability bit.

human i can deal with overbearing know feck all zealot is a bit harder for me to resist the urge to tell them exactly what i think of them.
Not exactly a shock that some humans are overbearing know feck all zealots either. I wish you had told them exactly what you think of them instead of mentioning that nobber every time an LCC event is mentioned.

OP
OP
subaqua

subaqua

What’s the point
Not exactly a shock that some humans are overbearing know feck all zealots either. I wish you had told them exactly what you think of them instead of mentioning that nobber every time an LCC event is mentioned.

how many other people has he made that impression on though.

I got grief on here when i first raised it and a neighbouring area leader whined that all the LCC area leaders are sooo hard done by giving up sooo much time and if i could do better then to do it.

it isn't hard to folow the rules of the road. we expect everybody else to, and LEADERS - you know people who lead and others follow - I can get the OED definition if you want , should set an example to others.

again i wonder if the " speaking for all London Cyclists " bit breaches the ASA rules .

Top Bottom