Cycle To Work e-bike spending limit removed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I was in my local Halfords on Friday evening (still trying to pick a C2W bike even though I'm in my 3rd month of paying it off, but that's another story!) and the manager of the bike section was telling me that they're simplifying their entire range of bikes and focusing on e-bikes. Right enough, the floor was cleared and only had about half of the 'normal' bikes on display as the rest are being prepared to go on clearance. The shop floor now has around a third to be dedicated to purely electric bikes as apparently it's the bulk of Halfords business now. I see that they can get Orbea's ordered in so you never know, i could be tempted in a few years time.

Crankarm

Guru
E-bikes should be banned. No way should they be part of the C2W scheme or similar. They are not cycling but motorcycling and treated as motorbikes which they are. I object to my taxes being used to subsidise these lazy feckers who are too lazy to pedal for themselves. They are massively environmentally unfriendly compared to a conventional bicycle.

Last edited:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
E-bikes should be banned. No way should they be part of the C2W scheme or similar. They are not cycling but motorcycling and treated as motorbikes which they are. I object to my taxes being used to subsidise these lazy feckers who are too lazy to pedal for themselves. They are massively environmentally unfriendly compared to a conventional bicycle.
But there are a few of us that can't pedal that far these day, what would you sooner they do use the car !!, better an electric bike than another polluting vehicle on the road.

mattobrien

Guru
Carful you don’t get giddy up there on your high horse ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Lazy feckers is a bit harsh!

The majority of e-bikes that I see on my commute are used by people who would otherwise be using a car. This includes a couple of overweight riders who are trying to build some exercise into their day but need the assistance of an electric motor so they don't faint halfway to the office. Others I see are cargo bikes, two used by mums and three by dads taking kids on the school run and/or shopping. The weight of those things, even unladen, makes electric assistance necessary for them to be practical. None of the aforementioned will get any extra power delivered without pedal input from the rider.

And don't forget the enormous benefit they offer to those with disabilities.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I’m glad this change has been made, especially with the current rhetoric around climate change, pollution, congestion etc etc.....ebikes are the future no matter what people think

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Is this a serious post? I object to being labelled a lazy fecker.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Crankarm is entitled to his opinion so I don't see why he should be reported.

I don't agree with the post but that's the nature of a forum isn't it ?

I would love to see less cars and more ebikes. I suspect many ebikers would otherwise use public transport but are attracted to the freedom of travelling where and when they wish to compared to the drudgery of timetables and cancellations on buses and trains.

I would love to see less cars and more ebikes. I suspect many ebikers would otherwise use public transport but are attracted to the freedom of travelling where and when they wish to compared to the drudgery of timetables and cancellations on buses and trains.j
I think that's key. E-bikes potentially appeal to a completely different demographic and any resistance within the cycling community to their uptake and use kinda misses the point.

Good morning,

This is a bit of misreporting, but not by too much. :-)

The cycle to work scheme has never had a £1,000 limit.

The way that it is structured means that whatever the current equivalent of a consumer credit licence is needed if the bike (and accessories) comes in over £1,000 and most employers don't have one.

The update clarifies but does not change the position that third parties that have the relevant licence can offer more expensive packages on the employers behalf.

So if an employer couldn't offer it on Friday then he can't offer it today.

Part of the reason for the lack of clarity may be that C2W was never intended to allow people to by the racer of their dreams and commute 2 miles to work each day! :-)

I would worry as the value of the equipment goes up as the issue of what happens when you leave the employer hasn't changed, the scheme ends.

Fine if it is a £300 bike and you have to find £60, but what if you have a £3,000 ebike and have to find £1,000?

I am not too up on early termination of C2W as there are various options, but returning the bike and walking away is not often an option, I understand that some companies now have bike pools, but would they want the ebike in the pool.

The other risk is that the finance provider may value the bike more highly at the end of the period, so if you want to keep it you may have to pay more than an employer run scheme where just getting rid of the bike is the objective.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
Top Bottom