Cycle to work help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rossh11

So I ordered a bike from evans cycles 6 weeks ago through the cycle to work scheme, I have just received an email saying my order has been cancelled because it’s out of stock (even though it was a pre order). They don’t have anything else in that I want and it’s passed the 14 day cooling off period. Does anyone know what my options are?

Juliansou

My bike was a CTW from Evans. Apart from the massive hassle factor, as the order is cancelled, can you not just take your voucher elsewhere? Has your employer already paid them, that being the case Evans should refund your employer. If you’re in no hurry you may even get an upgrade? I’m sure those with more legal knowledge than me can comment, but it seems they don’t have a leg to stand on! Good luck in getting this sorted.

Drago

Legendary Member
So I ordered a bike from evans cycles...
That was your first mistake.

Your second was to bet on a model that Evans didn't actually have yet.

Your third was to get involved with an online retailer for cycle to work. If it goes wromg its a bit hard to habe a barney with a computer screen.

As above. Find out the status of the payment. If its been payed your employer needs their refund, and if it hasn't talk tomyour employer about taking your business elsewhere. As it stands youve dicovered that internet buying from them can be a pain, and theres little point in a razor sharp deal if it never actually materialises.

Good luck.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
It's a credit agreement if you've not received the item then you should be able to cancel it. Speak to the cycle to work scheme provider.

simongt

Guru
If the bike you ordered was 'out of stock', first question to throw at them is 'Okay, when is it going to be back in stock - ?'. As you said it was a pre-order, then it was in stock at the time of your order, then they have some questions to answer about their stock control system. Find the bod at the shop who did the order in the first place and ask the question. :dry: And don't let them 'blame the computer' - !

You don't receive your CTW voucher until your employer has paid the money over to the scheme provider. Equally Evans should not have "cashed" your voucher with the scheme provider until they have completed your order and so you can just go elsewhere for a bike 😀

midlife

Guru
I'm sure I read that the only way you can contact Evans is via their website and the phone lines have been switched off... Too many complaints perhaps?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You don't receive your CTW voucher until your employer has paid the money over to the scheme provider.
Not sure that is true for every scheme. My last C2W voucher came on Monday after I applied on the previous Saturday, I'm sure my employer didn't pay straight away for the voucher :okay: & I believe with the halfords scheme, the companies pay monthly over the term of the scheme.

I'd certainly be getting a refund/new voucher & taking my business to a local bike shop :okay:

mikeIow

Guru
Evans are turning from a decent company into a bit of a nightmare!
I have one due sometime late November (ordered start Aug as bikes rapidly disappeared from their site after I signed up in April...)

Okay, 2020 has of course posed huge logistical issues....but nevertheless:

I ordered the bike with a rack and big Ortleib panniers.
Now they no longer supply that pannier, & their only suggestion is to cancel the order. They claim to not be able to even contact their own warehouse team to see if they have any. Crazy!
That was via corporate.sales - at - evanscycles.com - you could always try contacting them for some disappointingly "sorry, nothing we can do" response....

@Rossh11 - mine was never in stock - why will they not just offer you a delay to getting it? You ought to have that choice...otherwise the option to change for a different bike....all before you have to accept a refund and cancellation.

Top Bottom