Cycle To Work opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I found out earlier this year that there is no limit to the amount of times you can take part in the scheme so I am currently paying off a much nicer, less practical carbon fun-bike which I don't ride to work (I know - I'm supposed to - but no one is going to check!)

Perhaps best not to post such things on an open forum :smile:

Leodis

Veteran
I do think its a good scheme, the downside are many businesses allowed to pass the cost of participating onto the consumer which imho is wrong yet some (PX) run constant sales but plead poverty so pass on the 10% to scheme users. I paid this to PX for a pretty crap bike which I am now in the process of getting a refund via a cyclescheme voucher which throws up shed loads of problems and wasted time. The whole process started around 10/09, I waited 3-4 weeks for my cert then emailed to PX, they then have to "build" the bike another 2 or 3 weeks depending on stock, 6 weeks later I get the bike.. Poor quality, so returned the bike after 2 weeks and now what 26/11 I have no commuter, still waiting for cyclescheme refund and then I need to reorder a cert and wait for that... Pain in the ass.. Probs be back commuting by the middle/end of Jan.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I won't do it again. I'd just completed mine before the new extended lease came in. My employer offers an interest free loan for bikes now rather than the headache the scheme causes.

Leodis

Veteran
I won't do it again. I'd just completed mine before the new extended lease came in. My employer offers an interest free loan for bikes now rather than the headache the scheme causes.

That sounds great, I wish mine did the same. Its just such a faff for the employers dealing with cyclescheme. Ours get approved by HR then it goes to finance which take forever to cough up and then I have to order the bike in... So much easier to agree to the interest free loan and pop to the LBS or wherever and pick up.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm seriously looking at introducing a C2W scheme at work, only thing I am unsure of is how much to charge the staff for extending the hire period after the initial period as the Revenue don't seem to give any guidance on this.

Grendel

Veteran
I've just finished one, and started another.
My new bike is £1000 through Evans. one point in Evans favour, unlike some retailers is that if you buy a sale bike from them under Cyclescheme, they give you the bike at sale price. Some retailers mark it back to RRP for cyclescheme users.
So I've picked up an £1800 bike for a grand on paper, much less in reality, and after I received my certificate I received an email stating that because I had bought it through Network Rail/Evans I would get a gift certificate for £90 as well.
Very happy with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

Xiorell

Über Member
So you can normally add money to it? So you could go for the full 1k and chip in an additional £xx.xx toward a fancy bike?

stevede

My company (PLC) offer the scheme 3 times a year. This time around they have said they will put the final purchase fee onto your P11D meaning you only pay the tax amount on the final figure.

Justiffa

I wish i could ride to work, sadly cycling in malaysia is more on a competitive level rather than a lifestyle option… meaning cyclists are more event oriented and theres no support in the form of secure public parking bays for bicycles, bicycle lanes, etc. if i were to go ahead with my plans i would've to carry my bike up 2 floors and draw unnecessary attention to myself for something as simple as cycling to work, or to the nearby convenience store for that matter.

But i guess we'll get there one day…. soon hopefully ;)

Top Bottom