Cycle to work scheme MTB for 1k.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I'm going to get a mountain bike for the summer to do some single track in the beautiful forests of the U.k.
What's the best bang for buck MTB for a grand?

I would like 2 chain rings at the front as opposed to 3 ideally.

Kind regards.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't they check to see if you are actually using the bike to ride to work on?

(If not, then they ought to, otherwise it is just a taxpayer-subsidised fun bike.)

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It's not policed as they have important things to do like trying to win orders & not close the place down. However I will take it to work but not every single day. Fun bike :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Does it really matter what he uses the bike for?
What I am getting at is that somebody has to pay for the bike subsidy. It is one thing to subsidise bikes to get people not to drive to work, but another thing to subsidise fun bikes.

I don't expect other people to subsidise my fun bikes, but I would be happy to take a subsidy to cycle to work!

screenman

Legendary Member
Some of us cannot even get on the scheme. Mind you of the 8 people at one firm I know of that bought bikes only 2 still ride them, the rest just have a monthly bill and a bike in the shed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thread drift is one thing, but to do so in the first reply is a bit early.

Might I politely suggest that in this thread we stick to helping the OP choose a bike?

Use/misuse of the scheme could be discussed in another thread.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Getting people on a bike is the main issue.
Personally for me I think there is much more important things to worry about in life.
But if some people are offended by this heinous misuse of public funds maybe they should telephone the relevant government department immediately. And maybe then all of the bike riding criminals will be incarcerated until they repent.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
SRAM X5/X7 2x10speed drivetrain but the picture shows 3 front chain rings. Very nice though & it's British. It is a sure contender. I can always get them to alter the drive anyway. :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
SRAM X5/X7 2x10speed drivetrain but the picture shows 3 front chain rings. Very nice though & it's British. It is a sure contender. I can always get them to alter the drive anyway. :smile:

Are you male or female?

The compact model - shorter reach and cranks - is aimed at the ladies.

I've sat on a few mountain bikes from various makers recently, I found the reach on one or two was a bit short.

I don't think I'm particularly fussy when it comes to fit, but found inch or two either way makes a difference.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It is in the mens MTB section though? My friends who like to bomb down single track who are male all prefer to have a compact chain ring on for clearance issues, plus they never really need to be pedaling so fast when negotiating technical obstacles.

Top Bottom