Cycle to Work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Killiekevin

Yeah that's the only thing that stops me going for it. Apparently it affects your pension as your final pension is based on your gross salary which is less if you go with c2w. Not sure of the exacts of it but I read somewhere if you are in a pension you should obtain legal advice before purchasing

(If this is covered elsewhere, please oint me to the thread about the Cycle to Work scheme...)

I am trying to encourage my employer to join up (for my benefit and that of the whole company who is struggling with a tiny on site car park and paying out a small fortune for staff to park in a local multistory carpark), but things seem to have got a bit complicated; I raised it as an agenda item for the Staff Council and provided a three page write up based on info I found online, however, there were some issues raised, and now the idea is apparently going to have to go to about 7 team managers, and also a Core Management Team (Senior Managers above the team managers) for discussion separately. They want more info for this to happen.

So it looks like the wheels of bureaucracy may be moving slightly.

It seems that one of the main sticking points is what happens at the end of the hire contract, and the company either having bikes they can't do anything with, having to pay for bikes to become property of the worker, or the worker having to pay a an amount (tax? nominal fee? difference to full RRP?) to take ownership, or something else happening. One of the Managers is a former Police worker and wants everything to be done "legally", as she was uncomfortable with the idea of workers keeping bikes if they weren't explicitly allowed to.

I understand that for the scheme to work, there can be no assumption that the bike will become property of the person hiring it, but what actually happens once the contract ends?

Also has anyone else had experience of companies who are unwilling to sign up to the scheme?

Cycle Scheme video explanation:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/26711889?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;color=e11f27" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Top Bottom