Cycle to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavinDavies7

hi everyone my company has just set up the cycle to work scheme (after weeks of me nagging ) as I bought a second hand bike a few weeks ago just to get me out on the road I also picked up a helmet lights etc so with a limit of £1000 to spend as I have most of the gear even though it's probably not the best ( most of it has been bought from sports direct). Would you get a cheaper bike and add all the better make extras helmet, lights , locks gloves etc or just spend all of it on a better bikers my aim is to start do some club riding very soon . Has anyone else used the cycle to work scheme before. Thanks agin

Joffey

Big Dosser
I've used it for the past two years. Why not get a decent bike and better extras? Look at Decathlon (which is on Cycle to Work). You can get a Triban 540 for £650. I have one and it is excellent for the money. That would leave you £350 for extras if you wanted to use the full £1000.

OP
OP
G

GavinDavies7

I've used it for the past two years. Why not get a decent bike and better extras? Look at Decathlon (which is on Cycle to Work). You can get a Triban 540 for £650. I have one and it is excellent for the money. That would leave you £350 for extras if you wanted to use the full £1000.
Thanks for the reply just a quick question with the voucher do you have to spend it all in one go or can you keep some back for a later date

vickster

Legendary Member
In the past. Just make sure you insure the bike for the full replacement value in case of theft etc. You'd be liable for the 'hire' payments even though you don't have the bike anymore.

Also, if having to pay full RRP, you might find a better specced bike from last year's range for less (could use interest free credit, insure again).

And higher end kit can always be bought on sale as and when needed. Coming into warmer weather so you'll need less kit anyhow. Two or three jerseys and some reduced bin shorts. Polaris have v good reduction on kit much better than muddyfox or Karrimor

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the reply just a quick question with the voucher do you have to spend it all in one go or can you keep some back for a later date
You have to spend it all. If you don't, you lose what's left but still have to pay back. If you don't want to spend the full £1000, just get less. Save the difference in payments in a savings account for a later date

Another point, there are lots of different schemes, which cover different shops, so you may not have a free choice. Check with your employer

You're also meant to commute on the bike, although plenty 'abuse' this. So get a bike that can take mudguards

Lozz360

Veteran
One thing to add is, if using the scheme to purchase extras, they have to be "safety equipment". This can include helmet, locks, high viz cycling clothes, mudguards, lights.

vickster

Legendary Member
One thing to add is, if using the scheme to purchase extras, they have to be "safety equipment". This can include helmet, locks, high viz cycling clothes, mudguards, lights.
Evans for example let you buy pretty much anything. Think the rules may have changed?

Lozz360

Veteran
Evans for example let you buy pretty much anything. Think the rules may have changed?
Maybe. I used it in 2015.

Such a polite way of telling me I'm talking bollox! I received the following email from Evans today:

"Good afternoon Loz360,
You are able to purchase group sets on the Ride2Work scheme.
Many thanks,
A. Administrator"

I predict the Triban is going to get an upgrade!

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I used it for the first time this year as we had a new provider who would actually work out your repayment cost based on your individual circumstances. I bought last years bike, first advertised are 1640 I think it was, sale price was around 850 but there was a surcharge which meant all I had left was enough for new peddles. Final cost to new, 540. Not bad, so my advice is forget the gear and blow the lot on the new bike and cycle in whatever clobber you can get your hands on. :okay:

If you can afford the payments to the full £1000, I'd try and use it all. Many of the major manufacturers now gave bikes specced to hit that price point for this reason.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd spend the money on the best bike you can get for the money, leaving enough for a good quality lock (Sold Secure Gold) which you might find your insurers insist on anyway.
If you've got adequate lights, helmet etc then you can then upgrade these as funds allow but once you've got the bike, you've got the bike. Shop around too, as outside the sales a lot of the big name retailers can be quite expensive for things like lights, etc
As someone has posted up thread, Polaris have a cracking sale on at the moment (be quick, ends soon) and there are always offers on somewhere.

Top Bottom