Cycle wall storage hooks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone use them and which ones. I need to store 6 bikes in as effecient a space as possible, with maybe some room for fleet expansion too, so thoughts on height and spacing between each bike are most welcome. As well as thoughts on ease of use.

I was looking at this site and thought the Delta hooks looked a good price but also the Mottez caught my eye, the trouble with that is I really need to store the kids bikes at different heights.

Of course, one Topeak for my Audax would be nice too :wacko:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've got 5 of the Lifeline ones from Wiggle and two of the BikeHut branded ones from Halfords. I find them very solid as long as you do your preparation correctly, ie drill proper sized holes and use appropriate fittings for whatever wall material you have.

Initially I fitted them 40cm apart and staggered the heights, this was ok for me but a little too close for the kids. They can't control the bike as well and an accident was looking likely. I refitted at 60cm apart, all the same height, and that's much better, though the youngest needs help with his. I selected the height based on my longest wheelbase bike and allowing about 10cm clearance under the bottom wheel.

I find that both types have been fine for 700x35 tyres but the BikeHut ones are better at accepting chunkier knobbly tyres. The Lifeline ones will take them but it's not as slick. Also the plastic hook protector on the Lifeline wears through very easily. Bit of soft surgical tubing sorts that and just keep replacing as and when.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Ah thanks MacB, that's very useful. How easy do you find getting the wheel in and out, bit of a fiddle or straightforward?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I bought the Mottez 5 cycle hanger and, TBH I think the hooks are a bit too close for regular use. It is a bit of a faff to extricate a bike without unsavoury thoughts, language - even thinking of getting rid of some of them :thumbsup:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
We use the Delta hooks, and they do the job just fine. The plastic protectors on these wore out fairly quickly, but as the hooks are rounded they don't seem to worry our wheels too much.

If I was fitting them again I'd be tempted to mount them on a wooden batten - the top screw on a couple of ours came loose (the weight of the bike must have levered them out) but it took over 6 months of almost daily use and our brick wall is a bit soft.

They're easy to get the wheel into after a few practice runs, though I have a knack of always hooking the bit of the wheels with the valve...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

scoosh said:
I bought the Mottez 5 cycle hanger and, TBH I think the hooks are a bit too close for regular use. It is a bit of a faff to extricate a bike without unsavoury thoughts, language - even thinking of getting rid of some of them :smile:

I was wondering how tight it was being only 125 wide but I thought the height differential might make that OK.

Get rid of bikes :laugh: You're ill Scoosh.

Baggy said:
We use the Delta hooks, and they do the job just fine. The plastic protectors on these wore out fairly quickly, but as the hooks are rounded they don't seem to worry our wheels too much.

If I was fitting them again I'd be tempted to mount them on a wooden batten - the top screw on a couple of ours came loose (the weight of the bike must have levered them out) but it took over 6 months of almost daily use and our brick wall is a bit soft.

They're easy to get the wheel into after a few practice runs, though I have a knack of always hooking the bit of the wheels with the valve...

I think my wall is OK but I'll make sure the top fixing is good. I might be veering away from the Delta hooks to the Halfords ones after MacB's wide tyre advice. That and the fact they're cheaper and Halfords are doing a two for one offer which would save me £18, in fact £27 if I bought eight.

I might mozy down to Halfords tomorrow for a shufty.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Crackle said:
Ah thanks MacB, that's very useful. How easy do you find getting the wheel in and out, bit of a fiddle or straightforward?

Very easy on the Halfords and very easy, if not a knobbly, on the Lifeline ones, they're not that hard but a bit of a struggle for the younger two. There's a knack but you'll pick it up quickly, I tend to pick the front of the bike up and then wheel it to the hook on back wheel only. Then lift bike via bars and knee on saddle. Position the front wheel onto hook, avoiding valve and pulling back slightly to hold rim against hook. Then just ease the bottom of the bike forward. Taking it down is slightly easier, again bars and knee at saddle and just take some strain, twist front wheel slightly to side to free up and allow bike to run down wall.

I did inspect the fittings regularly at first and there was some movement on some screws pulling out slightly. I've replaced a couple with expansion bolts and also used some larger rawlplugs and longer screws. I suspect that the wall, or the hook itself, would give way before the fixings now. Being a hoarder I have a vast array of fixings to choose from in the garage:blush:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

I bought two today, they weren't on offer, just to try them out. After a bit of fiddling, I've spaced the adult bikes at 35cm and that works quite well. It took a bit of practice before I got the technique and before that I was thinking of ditching the idea as too awkward.

The Halfords hooks work well for the wider mtn bike tyres but the thinner 700c wheels allow the bike to swing a little, not so much as to make me think of changing them though.

I think for the kids while they are still young, it's a tadge too difficult, especially for my youngest, so I'll set them up two hooks for little used bikes, with spacing set up to accommodate two ground wheel stands between the wall mounted bikes for their everyday use bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Cheap steel hooks with plastic coating are fine at the standard joist separation. If you can find the joists.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Here's the finished result. There's no way, apart from wall storage I would have fitted so many bikes in such a small area, so that's good. However, I was forced to put them closer than I'd liked, which means it's a tadge awkward to get them off and the kids can't do it at all, well they can but all the bikes get to be dominoes which I'd rather avoid. That's fine though, because there's space for them to leave theirs off the hooks, especially the small Islabike on the left.

IMGP1219_resize.jpg

Davidc

Guru
Crackle, that's worse than my garage!

I don't do it at present, but the only issue I've ever had with hanging bikes from hooks has been the possibility of wheel damage if they twist round. How do you make sure that doesn't happen?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Davidc said:
Crackle, that's worse than my garage!

I don't do it at present, but the only issue I've ever had with hanging bikes from hooks has been the possibility of wheel damage if they twist round. How do you make sure that doesn't happen?

It's still a bit new as a system, so hard to say what the problems are yet but it's not the same as hanging them as the back wheel is on the wall, so they don't twist as they are effectively parked with both wheels on the wall. The most they do is lean a bit to one side from straight. The wheel on the hook is protected by a thick rubber sleeve, so first impressions are it's a pretty bike friendly system. As I say, if you knock one it just leans over, no twisting.

In what way is my garage worse than yours then :ohmy:

Actually I don't know whether to call it a shed or a garage. Really it's a shed but a brick built one. I think it used to be the coal shed and toilet but it's all knocked into one now. Sheds are wooden though, so sometimes I call it a shed and sometimes a garage :blush:

Top Bottom