• Newsnight

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Love Thy Neighbour

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Men Behaving Badly

• Never The Twain

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Cosby Show (the Canadian remake starring Justin Trudeau)

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Diff'rent Strokes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
Personally, I find most older American sitcoms, like Frasier, Friends, Cheers , Golden Girls etc to have been every bit as awful as the worst of British. They are so formulaic that you know exactly when the punchline is coming. A says something, B responds and C comes in with a punchline ..... time after time .... and all with canned laughter. I would make exceptions for M.A.S.H, Scrubs, Bakersfield PD and Brooklyn Nine Nine, all of which I would confess to enjoying. Couldn't name another American one that isn't absolute garbage.
Agreed, although I did quite like Married with Children.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We used to watch Bless This House back in the day, parents used to love Sid James, so we all had to endure it for the sake of domestic peace. A teaser for you - what's the connection between Bless This House and Dr. No, the first James Bond film of 1962?
Honor Blackman?

Well a quick mid survey update. The Cosby Show (Trudeau Edition) was clearly detested, yet Never the Twain and Shelley appear to be much loved with no one willing to say a word against them.
Me and a student housemate watched shelley a lot and liked it. Never sure why it was halted. Of course i haven't seen it since and in my maturity may think it junk.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Out of the options given, I'd go for Men Behaving Badly. It was aimed at roughly my demographic at the time (I'm younger than both actors by almost ten years, but let's be kind to them). And yet I always found it embarrassing, i funny in the 90s.

I thought it very funny, albeit embarrassing on occasion as you say.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Hang on, shouldn't Mrs Brown's Boys be on the list?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Agreed, although I did quite like Married with Children.

I quite like that back in the day. It had a healthy cynicism about it; uncommon in American shows. That said I saw an episode of it years later and it seemed dire so it's possible it had a good patch then turned to shyte later.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Love thy neighbour.

Even by 1970s' standards a load of racist shite. It fuelled racism and bigotry, despite claims that it belittled it.
It was pretty cringeworthy. I know he always got his cummupence, but it wa clumsy and crude compared to the way Alf Garnet always got cut down to size.

Top Bottom