• Newsnight

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Love Thy Neighbour

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Men Behaving Badly

• Never The Twain

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Cosby Show (the Canadian remake starring Justin Trudeau)

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Diff'rent Strokes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hang on, shouldn't Mrs Brown's Boys be on the list?
It's not a comedy.

(Is it?)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Go on then, I'll give the definitive top 5 bad sitcoms and put everyone out of their misery:

1. Are you being served?
2. Are you being served?
3. Are you being served?
4. Are you being served?
5. Are you being served?

For some strange, inane, crazy, unbelievable reason, people over here seem to love that show. I kid you not, when people find out I'm from England, I've heard this many times: "oh do you like 'Are you being served?' Do you watch it? It's soooo funny!"

Well comedy is very subjective. To address an earlier post, I did quite like Frasier, which is one of the exceedingly few American sitcoms I do like (I can also think of Seinfeld, but after that, it's really hard to come up with something after those two). However, over here there is the tv show malady of "keepthrashingitunitlitswaypastitssellbyitis", where they just keep a show going... and going.... and going.... which is definitely what they did with Frasier and Seinfeld and almost any semi-successful show. I always think 3 series is enough of anything -exit while you are on top and the ideas are still relatively fresh before you start to recycle or jump the shark (if you don't know what that phrase refers to, please do look it up!).

It's also interesting to see how we've progressed; I remember suffering through Bernard Manning as my parents watched it (well there were only 3 tv channels back then and nothing to do). Even as a little kid I thought he was mean spirited in his comedy. I have a vague recollection of him being really nastily racist, not nice at all, of course my memory could be faulty. However, he was probably a product of his time (not excusing him). I have a nasty feeling that many of the popular 1970's/80's sitcoms could be grim re-viewing in this respect. On the good side: it's good to see we've progressed a little bit and know some of this stuff is awful.

Last edited:

johnnyb47

Guru
What about "Don't drink the water"
"It was a spin off from On the buses were Blakey retires to the Spanish costas with his sister

stephec

Legendary Member
I've missed so much comedy gold... feeling left out.

Can I offer up Car Share and that other one he did- as a spin off from Phoenix Nights- the two bouncers with the gormless tall one.
Car Share was OK for a couple of shows, then it definitely ran out of steam.

Phoenix Nights was top class if you've ever been in those types of clubs, the interior shots were filmed about five miles up the road from me.

I once walked past Paddy 'professional northerner' McGuinness in Boots, as I did a double take when I recognised him he seemed to walk towards me expectantly, thinking he was going to be asked for an autograph, unfortunately for him I carried straight on. 😂

lane

Veteran
What about "Don't drink the water"
"It was a spin off from On the buses were Blakey retires to the Spanish costas with his sister

There are so many to choose from that it's really impossible to choose so I have not voted. Excellent thread though. So many rubish ones I had forgotten all about. I don't recall "Don't drink the water" although the name does ring some sort of bell. Did it involve buses?

lane

Veteran
Has anyone mentioned the Nearest and Dearest yet? I can't really remember it , but when I was I child I recall my Dad complaining about some ropy sitcom I though he called the pickle factory (possibly he did) but looking online it seems to have been called Nearest and Dearest. My Dad absolutely hated it.

Not sure if Steptoe & Son has been mentioned yet, if not, it's now mentioned. Not that I'm saying it's dreadful mind. Been meaning to watch them all, just for sake of nostalgia. Can remember a few episodes, but most I either didn't see or have forgotten about. Same goes for the Alf Garnet stuff. Trouble is, you have to set aside so much time to go down one of these nostalgia trips.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Slightly old thread revival time

I'm back watching these again. I last watched them all about 3 to 4 years ago. I know what's coming next, but I think I watch it more for a look back at the 1970's reminiscing, more than the comedy effect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom