CycleChat Investigates - Mods v Rockers

Are you a Mod or a Rocker?

• I'm a sharp suited mod riding a childs toy

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I'm a greasy smelly rocker but ride a real crotch rocket.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • I'm a normal member of 60's society and frightened to death my this breakdown of law and order

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
We used to go out on a long ride, looking for Mod's to overtake. We'd happily pass their Italian hairdryers whilst indicating by hand gesture that we were still in 2nd gear.

Gillstay

Über Member
I was British bikes and Ducati / Aeromacchi singles which were great fun. Teddy boy in that early 70's revival that few remember. Rarely had bicycles on the farm as just endless punctures and a busy dad.

lane

Veteran
I was out cycling with someone who was a mod. He said the real divide wasn't between mods and rockets but between Vespa and Lambereta riders.

My Uncle was a proper 50s rocker and he still speaks with derision about mods with their hairdryers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was British bikes and Ducati / Aeromacchi singles which were great fun. Teddy boy in that early 70's revival that few remember. Rarely had bicycles on the farm as just endless punctures and a busy dad.

I do remember it. One night back then I was making my way back from the bar at Tiffany's in Ilford balancing a tray of drinks when a fight involving a bunch of Teds erupted next to me. The drinks went flying and so did I when I got in the way of a punch meant for someone else.

DRM

Guru
Weren't the 'clashes' mostly media hype rather than the tribal battles we romantically 'recall' from watching Quadrophenia rather than the news?

FWIW... i was a new born :wub:
Nope, apparently Paignton 1966, we were on holiday when, according to my parents all hell broke loose as mods & rockers were chasing one another until it ended up in a pitched battle on the beach, I wasn’t allowed out of my pram to join in!

DRM

Guru
1980’s was into the metal thing, still am, did have a BSA Bantam, but that never went on road, it was converted into a trials bike, so we went on the fields with it, do remember being in Bridlington one bank holiday, and me, my cousin and some friends left our parents and went wandering off on our own, only to get caught up in the middle of a load of mods I had on an Iron Maiden T-shirt and denim sleeveless jacket with various heavy metal band badges and embroidery on it, got some lip , but no real hassle, thank god.
I recall having patchouli oil on that jacket, my mum found the source of the ”bloody awful stench” and sealed it in a plastic bag :laugh:

Last edited:
I must admit to being a mod in the 60s despite being given a Francis Barnett motorbike by my uncle.

Terribly shallow of me but, as a teenager, it was all about the girls, and the mod girls were much better-looking.

Always rode bikes, still do, but got an old Lammie as well.
DSC_0015.JPG

20180311_155911.jpg

20190503_094905.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
I must admit to being a mod in the 60s despite being given a Francis Barnett motorbike by my uncle.

Terribly shallow of me but, as a teenager, it was all about the girls, and the mod girls were much better-looking.
Yay......my 1964 bike was a Franny Barnett 197cc......weighed a ton and did 65 mph with smoke pouring out of the exhaust.

Top Bottom