CycleChat Investigates - Scotsmen

Who is the greatest Scotsman of all time?

• Robert the Bruce

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Sean Connery

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Groundskeeper Willie

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • William Wallace

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Andy Murray

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Nicola Sturgeon

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Drago

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Alexander Fleming

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Robert Watson-Watt

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Ian Anderson

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Robert the Bruce aka Robert Dr Bruis was s Norman.
You can't really hold that against him, the Kingdom of Scotland had undergone Normanisation long before he was around. It started under the Dunkelds, and there was plenty of Norman blood in the Dunkeld line before it fell.

The idea of a "pure" Scotsman is nonsense.

Before the Dunkelds there was a lot of Norwegian and Anglo-Saxon influence and intermarriage. You'd probably have to go back to the 9th century or so to find something resembling "pure" Pictishness, which, in itself, is a mishmash hodgepodge of various Celtic cultures.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, most of the place names and patois from my olde neck of the woods are Scandinavian in origin.

Anyeay, barring an invasion by the vikings, it looks as if a fictitious cartoon chsracter voiced by an American is the greatest Scotsman of all time!

Indeed, most of the place names and patois from my olde neck of the woods are Scandinavian in origin.

Anyeay, barring an invasion by the vikings, it looks as if a fictitious cartoon chsracter voiced by an American is the greatest Scotsman of all time!
There's nary an animal alive that can ootrun a greased Scotsman!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Scots used to do alright for thinkers and doers, but who is my favourite...?
I think I will plump for Graeme Obree until I can think of anyone better.

He was created as a homage to Scottish shipbuilding, Scots being great engineers:okay:. In reality, he was Canadian & I think born in the same hospital as Shatner, obviously earlier!. BTW, he lost part of a finger in WW2, not that you'd notice it.
Also got a bad knee injury at D-Day, if memory serves. I recall him being interviewed and he said that the shot knee had been repaired and was in better nick than the other one.

Lewis Grassic Gibbon.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I read one of Sir Walter Scott's books, Waverley, this year. Not bad actually, in fact rather good. I did learn Robbie Burns's Ode to a Mouse once, but I have forgotten it now.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I did used to like some of Labour's Scottish politicians. John Smith looked the part before he died. Robin Cook turned out to be right. I liked Alistair Darling. I even quite liked Gordon Brown.

Mr Celine

Discordian
A second poll starts tomorrow.Bobby Collins,Billy Bremner,Eddie Gray,David Harvey,Peter Lorimer,Willie Bell,Jim Storrie.Plus Joe Jordan,Gary McAllister,Gordon McQueen.Gordon Strachan.There are a few more but these were my favourites.

I think @pjd57 would be rather miffed that you forgot this one-

1607001769276.png

Top Bottom