CycleChat Investigates - Smart Motorways

Smart Motorways - whaddya reckon?

• Just amazing, I can waft along in congestion free comfort

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • OK I guess, though I was happy enough with the old motorways

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Meh, not that bothered

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't like them, the high speed they encourage and lack of hard shoulders is concerning

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Who'd have thought Death Race 2000 would turn out to be a documentary?

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Wondrous roads for lazy people to unnecessarily waft from one pie shop to another, or dicey corridors of death kill murder?

Once again the country turns to the great thinkers and philosophers of CycleChat to settle the issue once and for all.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I use the M25 between jct 5-7.
I wouldn’t want to be stopped on the inside lane with the traffic rushing up behind me. It has to be more dangerous than a standard hard shoulder.
Most cars follow the overhead gantry signage and lane markers, but the problem is the few minutes it takes for the operator to spot the problem and turn the signs on.

tom73

Guru
Death traps
@Beebo if you think the M25 is bad don't get in need on the junction 31 to 35 of the M1. (16 miles)
That runs 4 lines 24 hours even the police said it was a bad idea.
Last year 3 died and since it was put in 8 have died.
It takes about 17 mins to notice and change the signs a report on the news today has found out.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The hard shoulder is scary enough if you're stuck there, stopping in a live lane is suicide.
I suppose the idea is not too bad if the roads are nose to tail busy so a breakdown just stops all the cars behind it, but think how it is when the roads are quiet, especially during the night when drivers might be tired and not at their most alert.

I don't like them and if I ever have the misfortune to break down on one I will abandon the vehicle and seek security on the banking as safely and quickly as humanly possible because I don't trust my fellow motorists one bit!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Death traps
@Beebo if you think the M25 is bad don't get in need on the junction 31 to 35 of the M1. (16 miles)
M25 between jct 5-7 is the same.
Constant 4 lane traffic with no hard shoulder, unless the gantry says otherwise.

tom73

Guru
That's if you can get the banking 2 died last year because they had no way of getting to due to high barriers the bit they could maybe get to had a sheer death drop down it

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Not good is it ?
It’s great if you can guarantee no one will break down as it gives 25% more road space. Which we all know isn’t realistic.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Death traps
Last year 3 died and since it was put in 8 have died.
It takes about 17 mins to notice and change the signs a report on the news today has found out.

Is that the bit near milton Keynes?

Levo-Lon

Guru
On the tv yesterday saying it takes around 17mins for gantry warning.

Irrelevant as lots will be stuck in their phones but 17mins is maybe 5-10000 vehicles on a busy motorway

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
By far, the stupidest idea ever. Driving back from site once, I got overtaken on the inside by a plonker in the lane stating 'A34 only' who, on approach to the A34 junction, suddenly swerved across the lanes to the right & sped off. Twonk was just undertaking everyone.

IMHO, the fools who thought of this should be made to manually by hand dig up these 'refuges' up & reinstate the hard shoulder. Utterly dumb political solution to congestion.

Top Bottom