CycleChat Investigates - Smart Motorways

Smart Motorways - whaddya reckon?

• Just amazing, I can waft along in congestion free comfort

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • OK I guess, though I was happy enough with the old motorways

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Meh, not that bothered

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't like them, the high speed they encourage and lack of hard shoulders is concerning

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Who'd have thought Death Race 2000 would turn out to be a documentary?

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
@Drago

Car drivers are probably happy to be live to reach their destinations and don't care about reporting anybody.
Not me. I'm a vindictive bar steward with front and rear HD dashcams for extra vigilante effect. The more people stand up to bullies, the less likely they are to be bullied.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I don't like them and if I ever have the misfortune to break down on one I will abandon the vehicle and seek security on the banking as safely and quickly as humanly possible because I don't trust my fellow motorists one bit!

That's also what you should do on a conventional motorway. Never stay in your car on the hard shoulder.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Problem is abandoning your car while sat in a live lane is a dangerous activity, no matter which door you choose. Indeed, there is some argument for using your eyes and abandoning ship via the drivers door on a smart motorway, and thus getting to safety 5 to 10 seconds quicker than you would if you fannied about scrambling across the interior. On a hard shoulder you'll likely have the benefit of time to pith about climbing across, time you simply do not have when stationary on a live carriageway if you value your life.

And of you're my size you've zero chance of being able to climb across anyway...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Problem is abandoning your car while sat in a live lane is a dangerous activity, no matter which door you choose. Indeed, there is some argument for using your eyes and abandoning ship via the drivers door on a smart motorway, and thus getting to safety 5 to 10 seconds quicker than you would if you fannied about scrambling across the interior. On a hard shoulder you'll likely have the benefit of time to pith about climbing across, time you simply do not have when stationary on a live carriageway if you value your life.

And of you're my size you've zero chance of being able to climb across anyway...
Sorry. I should have been clearer. My incident happened on a genuine "outmoded" hard shoulder. It was terrifying. In a live lane, I think I'd just pray.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I am led to believe that the refuges are spaced so that, if a vehicle breaks down/stops working, the driver should be able to coast along to the next available 'safe area'. The main word here is 'should'.
Tricky, methinks, if you're in the overtaking lane and have enough time to react and do so.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
In a recent review it was concluded that Smart motorways are too 'smart' for many of our road users. People just couldn't process the constantly changing instructions and speed restrictions. Coupled with peoples' lack of foresight and planning, you get lots of sudden breaking and lane changing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
By far, the stupidest idea ever. Driving back from site once, I got overtaken on the inside by a plonker in the lane stating 'A34 only' who, on approach to the A34 junction, suddenly swerved across the lanes to the right & sped off. Twonk was just undertaking everyone.

IMHO, the fools who thought of this should be made to manually by hand dig up these 'refuges' up & reinstate the hard shoulder. Utterly dumb political solution to congestion.

That is not a smart motorway thing though is it? Undertaking has always been a thing as have middle and outside lane joggers who don’t pull back to the inside lane after overtaking.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I am led to believe that the refuges are spaced so that, if a vehicle breaks down/stops working, the driver should be able to coast along to the next available 'safe area'. The main word here is 'should'.
Tricky, methinks, if you're in the overtaking lane and have enough time to react and do so.

Tricky? I think you mean highly unlikely.

Emergency refuge areas on smart motorways can be up to 1.5 miles apart. Good luck coasting that distance.

Smudge

Veteran
The amount of people that want to come to the south west, makes the M5 near me not a smart motorway, or even a bog standard motorway..... its just a car park every summer.

Top Bottom