CycleChat Investigates - Smart Motorways

Smart Motorways - whaddya reckon?

• Just amazing, I can waft along in congestion free comfort

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • OK I guess, though I was happy enough with the old motorways

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Meh, not that bothered

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't like them, the high speed they encourage and lack of hard shoulders is concerning

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Who'd have thought Death Race 2000 would turn out to be a documentary?

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bummer if you aren't mobile enough to climb up it though.
I appreciate that, if you haven't got someone with you to help.
But if that is the case, that worst case scenario is surely not as bad as what the "smart motorway" imposes on everyone - ie stuck in the carriageway rather than by the side of it. Or on the banking if you are mobile.

classic33

Leg End Member
Assuming the camera time & date is correct, normal traffic flow at this point.

No banking to climb

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, the wise minds of CycleChat have spoken, and have almost unanimously declared smart motorways an abomination. I shall write to Boris Johnson forthwith, demanding he acquiesce to the will of the people...before someone demands a peoples vote on the subject.

Not read the whole thread so maybe mentioned already - but hasn't an official enquiry been launched into their effectiveness as well as their safety?

I'm sure I read something on the BBC News site a year or so back that said that some evidence was suggesting that they were not overly effective re their primary purpose of improving traffic flow; the upshot being that a full appraisal will be made before earmarking more funds to continue the rollout.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not read the whole thread so maybe mentioned already - but hasn't an official enquiry been launched into their effectiveness as well as their safety?

I'm sure I read something on the BBC News site a year or so back that said that some evidence was suggesting that they were not overly effective re their primary purpose of improving traffic flow; the upshot being that a full appraisal will be made before earmarking more funds to continue the rollout.
Excellent! Millions/billions of taxpayer's pounds and years of suffering by motorists due to the roadworks to implement the changes, and now they discover it might not be a good idea!!!!!
Once again, I'm sure nobody will lose their job over this.

Excellent! Millions/billions of taxpayer's pounds and years of suffering by motorists due to the roadworks to implement the changes, and now they discover it might not be a good idea!!!!!
Once again, I'm sure nobody will lose their job over this.

"Having an entire complex and carefully engineered infrastructure exclusively built for you at taxpayers expense and expanded to suit your needs" is a curious definition of suffering.

DRM

Guru
"Having an entire complex and carefully engineered infrastructure exclusively built for you at taxpayers expense and expanded to suit your needs" is a curious definition of suffering.
By suffering the road works for what seemed like an eternity, only for the idiots in charge to realise what a stupid idea smart motorways are, at god only knows what these death traps have cost the taxpayer, is what is being inferred

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The 60,000 people a year that die of causes related to air pollution in the UK would, were there a suitable ouija board available to be able to gauge their opinion, likely agree strongly with Mr Skol.

Top Bottom