CycleChat Investigates - Smart Motorways

Smart Motorways - whaddya reckon?

• Just amazing, I can waft along in congestion free comfort

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • OK I guess, though I was happy enough with the old motorways

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Meh, not that bothered

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • I don't like them, the high speed they encourage and lack of hard shoulders is concerning

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • Who'd have thought Death Race 2000 would turn out to be a documentary?

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I live near to J25 M1. About 10 years ago it was decided to extend the M1 north of J25 to 4 lanes which includes 4 lanes plus a dedicated hard shoulder. Then it was decided about 2 years ago to do the same for the M1 going south from J25, but being now into austerity it was done as "smart motorway". It's cheaper but it's not safe. Honestly I am not even sure it has done much to curb congestion because it's still often nose to tail between 26 and 25 southbound in the morning rush. And there is often a massive que in the evening rush to leave the M1 at J25 southbound.

On the TV the other night it said the M1 had 10x the traffic it was designed for. So really by now we should have 30 lanes plus a dedicated hard shoulder.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The Highways Agency, even if proved to be comprehensively mistaken, are never going to admit to it and correct their faults. Centrally funded organisations don't do that. They'll come up with some equally stupid kludge.

When I travel on the motorway I found the average speed cameras have a calming effect on the traffic. Everyone, well, almost everyone, is travelling at the same speed yet still making progress even if it’s a tad slower. Still, there’s no accounting for the motorist that doesn’t look or think beyond the end of their bonnet. The combination of inattentive drivers and the lack of a hard shoulder is a fatal/ serious injury RTC just waiting to happen.

If i was an unfortunate loved one of someone who had perished on one of these profoundly stupid things I would I think plant a small cross/memorial at the spot, and replace whenever it was taken away. Would give drivers pause for thought.

If motorways had been designed like this at the start one wonders whether folk would have gone on them in the first place.

Coming soon? The reintroduction of the central lane for folk overtaking in both directions? With "smart" tech of course.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
If i was an unfortunate loved one of someone who had perished on one of these profoundly stupid things I would I think plant a small cross/memorial at the spot, and replace whenever it was taken away. Would give drivers pause for thought.

If motorways had been designed like this at the start one wonders whether folk would have gone on them in the first place.

Coming soon? The reintroduction of the central lane for folk overtaking in both directions? With "smart" tech of course.
Take a look at the A38M into Brum. Up to 8 lanes, I think, no central barrier, just red or green notifications to say which lanes can be used depending on the time of the day.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Take a look at the A38M into Brum. Up to 8 lanes, I think, no central barrier, just red or green notifications to say which lanes can be used depending on the time of the day.
Ive seen pictures of that but never driven on it. The lack of central barrier seems madness.
The Blackwall Tunnel used to have a contraflow system, with north bound traffic driving up one lane of the south bound tunnel.
It was bonkers and eventually stopped as they discovered that emergency services access into the tunnel after an accident was impossible as both lanes were full of cars with nowhere go to.
Planners are just trying to squeeze more capacity out of the system. They know the risks are increased but they must come under pressure from various bodies to make these changes.

they discovered that emergency services access into the tunnel after an accident was impossible as both lanes were full of cars with nowhere go to.
Of course one would have thought a four year old given a toy road and a few toy cars and trucks could have figured that out in minutes. Hardly requires computer modelling. Especially as the whole point of the exercise is to "fill the road space".
doh!

Stranded motorists have been run down and killed when faced with an impossibly steep bank to climb next to the live lane or hard shoulder.
well apart from landscaping isn't that bank to protect folk from vehicles careering off the carriageway? I'd rather be up a bank than level with a carriageway/on it/in a ditch.

Ive seen pictures of that but never driven on it. The lack of central barrier seems madness.
The Blackwall Tunnel used to have a contraflow system, with north bound traffic driving up one lane of the south bound tunnel.
It was bonkers and eventually stopped as they discovered that emergency services access into the tunnel after an accident was impossible as both lanes were full of cars with nowhere go to.
Planners are just trying to squeeze more capacity out of the system. They know the risks are increased but they must come under pressure from various bodies to make these changes.

I grew up with it and, back in the day when there was less traffic and more courtesy/common sense, it worked well.
Actually seven lanes, configured as 3+1+3 or 4+1+2 for "tidal flow" where the 1 is closed to all traffic as a "central reservation"

I still use it now and then and I think it works better than the newer "smart" motorways. Maybe because it's long-standing and better understood? (by locals at least)

Top Bottom