Cyclechat investigates...soaps

Which is the best soap?

• Coronation Street, the obvious best

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • EastEnders, lots of shouting and gangsters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emmerdale, home of the cast slaughtering plane crash

• Brookside, where everyone was a drug dealer, R.I.P.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Albion Market, someone must surely have watched it?

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Neighbours - what's that? The postman's wife is dead!

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Home and Awaybours

• Eldorado, Accy's favourite

• Hollyoaks, lots of young people snogging

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I would rather smear my undercarriage with treacle and sit on an anthill than watch a soap

Votes: 28 73.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Emmerdale should be Emmerdale Farm but was renamed after the plane hit the pub. In reality, the landlord & owner of the one where the interior was used, fell out with the company making it.

Relocated further south, with a new pub interior and renamed Emmerdale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Emmerdale Farm,
It's no longer called Emmerdale Farm,
Emmerdale Farm,
If you live there you will come to harm,
Emmerdale Farm,
Lots of sexiness in an old barn,
It all happens in Emmerdale Farm.

(To bending to the Emmerdale theme tune)

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
That's the one - was he a 'comedy' character, or have it constructed a memory of him from one event? (I didn't really watch it, but my parents did, so I was only vaguely aware of what was going on)

I don't recall him being an out and out comedy character, but there were some language / accent based jolly japes (think Mind Your Language). I don't think the Beeb would tolerate such things nowadays...

In a similar vein we were talking about Annie Sugden still being alive, actually the actress who played her is still alive, Sheila Mercier who turned 100 on the 1st of January this year.

Nay Mr Wilks!

And although my knowledge of Scottish soaps is not that great was there not one called Take The High Road?

Don't forget the greatest Scottish soap of all - River City (available on the iPlayer for non- Scots)

I stopped watching soaps when someone cut off Derek's gnome's ear. I couldn't cope with such an unprovoked, despicable and sick act of violence against an innocent garden ornament. :cry:

I blame Victor Pendlebury.

I remember Soap thought it was extremely funny Friday night viewing. Suspect it won't have aged well.

The episode with the dummy springs to mind, hilarious.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I must admit, I'm partial to a bit of Corrie. I like the way they keep things light with a bit of humour, no matter how many people have been murdered this week.

Mrs Mrs D, in her usual contrary manner, prefers EastEnders, and opines that when it was running Brookside was the best of them all.

So which is the best soap?

" Eldorado, Accy's favourite" I voted for!:okay: Such simple, viewer friendly storylines and as many said when the BBC binned It,:headshake: it brought a bit of Spanish sunshine into your living room every evening.:sun:

Top Bottom